Seventh Night

Solomon's Purgatory:

Chapter 7:

Ciel hesitated to obey. He didn't want to be alone with Bluewer with no opportunity for escape. He didn't know what the prefect was in his room for, but based on his previous actions it wasn't exactly going to be concern for his health.

"Close it," Bluewer said shortly.

This time Ciel complied. Bluewer's stern face broke into a smile that appeared to be an attempt at a friendly smile. Instead it looked like the wolf smiling at little red riding hood.

"I wanted to have a private conversation about what has happened with Sebastian. I realised that you might be traumatised by the experience."

"...I'm fine," Ciel assured him. He still had no idea where Bluewer was going with this.

"Are you lonely at all?" the prefect continued on.

"I'm fine, thank you," Ciel repeated.

"I'm glad to hear it."

Bluewer looked ill at ease and Ciel was sure that there was a thin sheen of sweat on his forehead. As always, his room was very cold so it wasn't anything to do with the temperature. He had to be nervous for a different reason.

"You can tell me if you're having any trouble," Bluewer said and turned to go. "Did you hear a strange noise?"

There had been no strange noise and Ciel was sure of it. He was beginning to get an inkling of what Bluewer was trying to do.

"I didn't hear anything," he said honestly.

Bluewer approached Sebastian's wardrobe and put his ear against it. Now Ciel definitely knew what Bluewer had come to visit him for.

"I think I heard a cat in here," he announced and opened the door. "Oh no, there's cats in here."

If the situation had not been so fraught with tension Ciel would have found Bluewer's bad acting hilarious. The delivery on the last line had been very deadpan almost as if he was following a script. It was evident that Bluewer must have been the person that had taken the cats away and replaced them whilst he was in the canteen and waited so he could pretend to find them and connect it to Sebastian's fall.

"I need to tell Wordsmith," he said and rushed out the room. "Make sure they don't escape."

Ciel didn't want to go anywhere near them but he wanted to check if they were the same cats that had been in there originally. There were three cats staring up at him, two had grey fur and the other had mottled brown and white fur. He recognised them, but there was one missing. He checked in the wardrobe and the rest of the room for any other cats and came up with nothing.

Why was one cat missing?

Bluewer returned with the housemaster a few minutes later.

"There's cats in Sebastian's wardrobe," he announced and showed Wordsmith.

"Why?" Wordsmith asked wonderingly before clearing his throat in an attempt to look more authoritative. "They must be removed at once."

The housemaster held out his arms and attempted to entice the nearest cat into his arms. The cat turned its head away and licked its paw. Wordsmith flushed in embarrassment.

"Could you two help me?" he requested.

Ciel stepped back. "I'm allergic to cats. I'll sneeze over you."

Bluewer sighed and picked up the cat with a hesitant and shaky grip. His face looked like he was disgusted at touching a cat. Ciel frowned at his reaction. The blue house prefect might not actually be the person responsible for removing the cats and then replacing them. He couldn't imagine Bluewer managing to remove the four cats discreetly and quickly. Either there had been an accomplice or he hadn't known anything about it.