16: Don't Be Quick To Judge

Briana's POV

"Oh, bad timing," I moaned, dropping Damon flat on his ass.

He scrambled to get up, but it didn't save him any embarrassment. I failed to hide a laugh behind a cough. He lightly rammed his shoulder into my arm. I gave him a look that said I was going to rip his shoulder blades out and use them to slit his own throat. Or something like that.

"We received notice that the doppelganger would be here," said the man in front, three in all. The guy had a deep, commanding voice, but it didn't dim my confidence. All of them looked the same. Dark hair, dark, eyes, dark clothes... it all blurred into three people who wanted to steal my lover's brother's girl.

"Yes, she is-" I began smoothly.

"Briana!" hissed Damon, standing in front of the deathly silent Elena like a shield. He turned to the men. "I'm afraid you're mistaken. She's not up for grabs." His tone frightened me the slightest bit, a little pinch in the back of my mind.

"Well, I'm sorry to inform you," said the minion, "but I'm here to take the doppelganger. And I will."

He would've if not for the disgusting squelch and tearing sound that came from his chest. When he dropped, there was him, holding his heart in one hand. Thick globs of blood dripped from his hand and pooled at his shiny Italian shoes, which he seemed only slightly dismayed about. He wore black suit-pants and a crisp blue dress shirt, buttoned up to rest the perfectly pressed folds at the top on his collar bone. His smile was tight and small, but irritated, and his hair was styled so delicately it made me feel self-conscious.

"Elijah," I gasped, scooping up my fedora and smashing it on my head, the lip pulled over my eyes, just as his gaze turned lazily to me.

"Hello," he droned. As if he wasn't somebody I hadn't seen in over two centuries. As if I wasn't somebody he hadn't seen in a millennium.

"Wait, we were just about to-" started one of the three nameless men, just before Elijah reached out and ripped their two hearts out as well. He dropped them carelessly on their lifeless body once they slumped to the hardwood floors.

"Die?" he said, walking casually towards us. "Yes, I know. I also know you," he pointed to a shivering Elena, "you," he pointed distastefully to Damon, scowling, "but not you." He gestured to me, and a quick glance around showed Rose had already disappeared.

"How ironic," I murmured, dipping my head as low as possible without tipping the hat off.

I don't know why, but I just couldn't bare to have him see me yet. It must be because if he told Klaus of me, he probably would fear what I am (not that he knew) and never bring his other family here. Of course. That's it. He put his finger under my chin, causing me to tremble.

"And why is that?" Before he could force my head up, Damon miraculously sensed my fear and stepped in between us, a tight fit. I was pressed completely to the back of him.

"What- you want Elena, too?" he said threateningly, menacingly. Elijah gave a wry, hateful grin and chuckled.

"Surprisingly, no." His voice was smooth, like caramel, and quiet, as if he wanted you to lean in and hang on to every important word he said. "But you people are doing such a terrible job at keeping her safe that I thought I should come back and tell you to bring her to her house. Don't let her go."

And then he was gone. I turned to the others.

"What the fuck just happened?" I said. Nobody else seemed to know.

* * * * *

The ride home was silent. Rose was found hiding in Stefan's car that she and Damon had drove here in, which he wasn't too happy about considering she'd left us with Elijah, but she drove it home anyway because he wanted to ride with us. He was afraid I might take Elena again, or something stupid like that. It's odd how he could be so tense with me after just saving me from the recognition of my own brother. Damon didn't say a word the entire way, not even to his 'one and only love'. 'Only love' my ass. I bet he thought he'd never love another back in 1864.