6: Kiss and (Don't) Tell

Okay, so I'd followed Damon to the Gilbert's place and listened sadly when he told Jeremy of Anna's death. I was just curious! It wasn't too creepy. I don't think. Probably.

I was just walking away from the side yard when I heard Elena say, "What are you doing here?" I don't know what compelled me to do this, but I impulsively crept towards the porch, hiding in the dark and shadows.

"A failed and feeble attempt at doing the right thing," he said tightly, and I wondered what was wrong with him. I knew Jeremy hadn't taken the news well, but that was no reason for Damon to be upset.

"Which was?" she huffed as she lugged her bags up the steps. He took them and laid them on the porch swing.

"It's not important. I'll take these away."

"Thank you." The curls in her hair still hadn't died down from this morning, and she was wearing a leather jacket I hadn't seen on her before. A smile flickered on and off her face like the crackling flame of a candle.

"You know," he started, "I came into this town wanting to destroy it now I've found myself wanting to protect it. How does that happen? I'm not a hero, Elena. I don't do good. It's not in me." It happened because you're caring about people again, I thought.

"Maybe it is." Maybe it is. I'd heard that said somewhere, just like that, when I'd asked aloud if the strength to kill my family was in me. Maybe it is, she'd replied. I couldn't breath, but I couldn't move either. I had to know what would happen.

"No. That was reserved for my brother and you and... Bonnie, even though she has every reason to hate me, she still helped Briana save me." I saw her face split in confusion for the briefest of moments, but she quickly composed herself.

"Why do you sound so surprised?" All she was doing was asking questions.

"She did it for you, even though Briana's the one who asked. Stefan told me you'd gone to Bonnie and convinced her to save me, which means that somewhere along the way you'd decided that I was worth saving." I could tell it hurt him in his stance and the twisted tone of his voice, the idea that Elena felt for him. It would change everything even if she did. "And I wanted to thank you for that."

"Your welcome," she murmured, and this was it.

Damon leaned towards her tentatively, tipping his head forward to kiss her softly on the cheek. Rage boiled inside of me, knocking the air out of me, and I bit my knuckle to keep from crying out. He does love her, just like Isobel said. When he pulled away, Elena looked serene and there was something glinting in her dark eyes that pushed him forward again, and...

they kissed.

I couldn't take it. I ran towards the open window on the right of the house and jumped up to grab the edge of it's pane. I knocked my hand twice on the siding of the house and when I peeked over the edge, Jenna looked around, and then walked out of the room and towards the door, thinking someone had knocked. Just as I had hoped. I was on top of the roof over the porch in a microsecond,and dipped my head over the edge, my choppy hair falling around my head. Elena noticed me and I wagged my finger like a mother looking at her child, ashamed. Her eyebrows pushed towards each other as she kissed Damon harder, and at that very moment, the door opened and light poured out into the yard. As I had done with him, he hid his face behind her collar, and her mouth dropped open.

"Hi," she said coolly. I couldn't see Jenna's face, but I can imagine the shock.

"It's late. You should probably come inside." Elena grabbed her bags sending one more irritated glance at me and walked into the house and Damon, who had his back to me, rubbed his lips when the door closed, and the street was once again enclosed in thick darkness. When he walked off the porch, listening as Jenna asked accusingly, "What are you doing?" I grimaced. Faintly, I heard 'Elena' reply, "I don't want to talk about it."