Twenty - Five

THE happiness that surrounded us, by that fire was short lived. It hadn't taken long before Samil had found me.

His beady eyes pierced harshly at me through the thick of his white makeup. His rough dirty hands balled in fists, and I swore that the steps he took were heavy enough to split the earth open straight into hell.

"You little brat!" He yelled.

I felt my body grow stiff. Marius abruptly stood up. "What do you want?" Marius snapped.

The ringleader ignored the man beside me. "How dare you embarrass me like that in front of the guests."

I stood silent but tall.

"You have no right to do what you did on those ropes, and you had no permission to sit here, away from the party." With evil aggression Samil grasped my wrist, pulling me away from the other performers.

"Let her go!" Dandra snarled, a few of the cast members stood up in protest. The majority remained seated with fear.

I tugged my arm away from Samil as hard as I could, but the anger that had been boiling within him provided more strength than I had ever seen. My eyes called out to Marius, who without hesitation attempted to lunge forward.

In a swift deathly motion, Samil flipped open a blade. The sharp metal found a spot just millimeters from Marius' throat. "Stand down," Samil growled. His eyes scanning the mob ahead of him. His fingers dug deep into my skin, and his upper lip shook. "I said stand down you bastards!"

Marius took a step closer, pressing his throat harder against the quivering blade.

Samil did not take the gesture lightly. With a sudden swing, the ringleader pressed my back against his chest and the knife against my throat. "Do it again Romeo...I dare you."

I scanned the fear in my cast mates' eyes. "It's okay," I whispered to Marius.

Marius' jaw clenched in anger.

Gently I wrapped my fingers around the hand that held the blade. "Let's go to bed..." I mumbled.

Samil's lips widened in a victorious smile. "Good girl," He hissed, pressing his dirty lips against mine. His eyes wide open staring right at Marius.

~*~

The walk back was treacherous. I stumbled at the pace Samil forced me on as my arm grew numb from his grasp. "Next time, I hope you learn better." The ringleader stated.

"Yes, sir..."

"You're not some world class performing girl, Nightingale...You looked like an absolute idiot up there. I'll be damned if you embarrass me like that again." He continued.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes Samil."

Soon we had reached the main metal doors of his trailer. "Get in, and lay on the bed." He demanded.

As he pushed the doors open, a loud shriek escaped from inside.

There on the bed, was a half high, all drunk Invidia. "Yoou!"

"What are you doing?" Samil groaned in frustration.

Invidia wiped her Mendacium covered nose. "I want -wanted to surprise you darling!" She cried, swinging her arms open.

Her dress was half on, her hair undone, and her make up smudged from the filth covered hands of the audience.

"Get out..." Samil shouted.

Invidia didn't flinch. "But Samil! I wanted to spend the rest of the night with you."

"Get, out!"

Her eyes scanned me. "Look at her Samil. She's a pathetic little girl." She stood clumsily from her position. Her wet hand grabbed my cheeks. "She knows nothing. She give nothing. She is nothing." Invidia spat.

Samil's fingers curled around Invidia's throat. "You touch her again, and I will ruin that face of yours Invidia."

Invidia smiled. "Oh, you like it rough?"

The ringleader growled in anger and shoved Invidia's body to the ground. Her shoulder hit the floor with an echoing thud. The elephant rider's eyes glazed over with tears as she looked up at the man above her. Her finger pointed at my direction. "What's she got that I don't?! She's nothing but some whore! She doesn't do anything but flap those pretty lips at the dirty men around her! You're a goddamn fool Samil. You're -"

Suddenly Invidia's shouts were cut short by a large kick to the gut. She cried in pain and curled forward. Samil tossed his foot against her once more. His aggression steamed from his ears, his power trip glistened in his sweat and his face was glazed over with the devil.

"Samil! Stop!" I yelled, throwing myself down at Invidia.

His foot caught the side of my arm. I winced but refused to get up.

"Darling," Samil softly stated. "Get up..."

I gazed up at the ringleader. "Stop."

He snarled.

"Get off me stupid girl." Invidia hissed through her pain covered whimpers. "I don't need you for protection."

Slowly she stood up, her lips were stained with blood. I attempted to reach towards her to help, but she harshly waved me away before running out the trailer.

Samil grumbled in apathy. "I could've kicked you in the face..."

I stared towards him. "I wanted you to stop kicking her."

He eyed me. "Get on the bed."

I did as I was told.

"Sniff." He commanded chucking a small glass vile my way.

A wave of fumes surrounded the air. I wrinkled my nose in disgust.

"Sniff." He bluntly said, as he undid the buttons of his old dress shirt.

"I don't want to." I sternly said.

His grip found my arm once more. "I didn't ask. Now sniff, or I'll make certain all our friends pay for your behavior."

Slowly I raised the vile to my nose and took a small sniff. His lips curled in a grin. "Good girl...take another one."

I pursed my lips in loathing and took another whiff.

A low laugh escaped the ringleader, and soon I found my vision growing hazy. Samil unclasped his belt, and soon his pants were gone. His naked body pressed tightly against me. I tried to crawl away but my limbs wouldn't listen. They stood motionless underneath the horrid human.

Samil's mouth pressed hard against mine as his hands found a path up my thighs. I clumsily reached forward into the air. He laughed at my failed attempt of escape and wrapped his fingers around my wrists. As he pinned my arms above me, I felt the hem of my dress rise above my hips.

Soon the room around me began to fade into a cloudy white. The ringleader's face came in and out of view. My body was succumb to his motions. I was left to lay there, underneath him. I was left with my eyes open but my mind empty. My body was left to do as he pleased. It's limps pinned and moved under his command. And I was left with the remains of his anger and my disgust.