Eleven

THE following morning, I as always was the first to wake. Not because it was of habit, but rather because I never slept.

I had made refuge in one of the macho men's bed. The usual occupant must have found a local girl to spend his time with. Luckily, the bed's use would go unnoticed.

The door swayed open as I was in the middle of fluffing a pillow. Outside stood Manuel, the 28 year old's eyes were bagged, and his hair unkept.

"May I speak with you?" He whispered.

I nodded stepping foot out the door.

"Last night," He began. "Did anything happen? Are you hurt?"

I shook my head and explained the events.

He took a sigh of relief. "Listen, if you need anything, I'm here. A lot of the stage men worry about you..but you should know if you need us..."

I touched his hand. "Thank you, but I promise I am okay."

He nodded. His lips pressed. I didn't believe me either. "Whenever you're ready, I can do a swing check with you." He stated before walking off.

By the time he was gone, Mirna had woken. She shuffled towards me, her eyes still in a sleepy state. "What was that about?"

I shook my head. "He's just ready for stage checks."

"Perfect! I'll come along."

~*~

Inside The White Top, a few stage crew had already began to reset the stage. Manuel was waiting for me behind one of the back curtains. He waved with a smile.

As Mirna and I walked over, Manuel introduced us to one of the new recruits from Odin. "Ladies. This is Lacey."

The woman stepped forward, grasping my hand with both of her's. Her tight curled pony bobbed up and down as she shook my hand. "Ma'am, it's such a pleasure to meet you in person."

Mirna nudged me in pride. "Oh, thank you." I answered.

"Dandra met her during the party," Manuel began. "She might be a great candidate for a contortionist!"

She nodded. "I've been known to be quite flexible."

Mirna laughed. "Splendid! So are you here to rehearse?"

Manuel smirked. "No, she actually had a great idea."

"I was watching your show last night. You on the swing. I think, it would shed a great sense of power and confidence if you were able to do it on silk? I mean, it is of course your act. And if I'm over stepping, I don't mean -"

Mirna interrupted. "I love it!"

"I thought you would!" Manuel cheered.

"Ma'am?" Lacey leaned towards me.

I stood in my place, shifting about on my feet. "Samil wouldn't approve."

She stepped back in shock. "It's your act ..."

I shook my head.

Manuel brushed his hand through his hair. "He's a difficult man.."

"Do you think you'd like to do it, though?" Mirna whispered.

I closed my eyes. Watching as my body spun in the curtains, my arms controlling where I go and how. The sense of strength I would present, the ability to have power over where I went and when. "I do.