Chapter 1~ Welcome to Southampton

Great excitement surrounded everyone in Scotland that day. At 09:00, Queen Victoria was joined by Queen Elizabeth. By noon, a forest of funnels crowded the narrow river channel, making the tugs nerves as they had to pull the massive hull of the new multi-million dollar liner through the chaos to the drydock without damaging her. The name of this new ship, long kept secret, would be announced approximately 5 minutes from now.

The red flare signaled 1 minute to launch and a flag was raised to warn river traffic of the impending launch. At 12:05 pm on January 5, 2010 the ship was launched.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II proclaimed proudly for all to hear "I name this ship Queen Elizabeth. May god bless her and all who sail in her."

Next to Queen Victoria, Cunard Line's flagship Queen Mary 2 gasped. She recalled a day, 6 years ago, when another Elizabeth attended her launching ceremony.

Watching the new ships' hull slide into the water, bright green eyes dancing about n excitement, Queen Mary wondered "was this how Liz felt, seeing my launching?"

She swallowed back the lump in her throat that always came whenever she thought about her mentor. Instead she focused on the feeling of pride that was welling up in her chest.

"Don't blow it Queen Mary. Don't embarrass the fleet by crying. You're a big girl now." She chided herself.

Once things had settled down, Queen Mary approached the new Queen Elizabeth, Queen Victoria at her side. When the new ship looked at her, Queen Mary's heart leapt into her chest. This new ship looked so much like her mentor, she even had her eyes. Tears came to Queen Mary's eyes and she firmly blinked them back. The harsh thoughts ran through her mind before she could stop them. "She's a fake, an imitation. She doesn't deserve the name." Queen Mary stopped herself then and there. Liz had taught her not to judge and so not judge she would. She backed off and Queen Victoria shot her a look. Queen Mary ignored it and let her younger sister take the lead.

Queen Elizabeth inquired about Queen Mary's behavior which Queen Mary couldn't decide whether to growl or smile over. But Queen Victoria assured their new fleetmate that everything was fine, explaining briefly that Queen Mary was a leader in training and could sometimes be overwhelmed. Queen Elizabeth seemed concerned but accepted Queen Victoria's words. After all, she was new here. How could she know better? A plan began to form in her mind at how to make Queen Mary feel better. Her eyes sparkled at the thought.

"Something you're thinking about?" Queen Victoria's voice snapped the young ship from her thoughts.

"How'd you know?" She asked.

"Because my eyes do the same thing, according to Queen Mary anyway." A chuckle escaped the elder ship. "So what are you thinking about?" She asked.

"I want to help Queen Mary. I never liked seeing sad faces." Queen Elizabeth confessed.

"Don't you worry about Queen Mary. You have enough events coming up anyway. I'll talk to her though if that soothes you. She should know better than to show her feelings so clearly like that, especially to a new fleetmate."

Queen Elizabeth nodded. "I'm sorry, I didn't..." She began, hoping to spare her leader any trouble.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." Queen Victoria replied sternly.

"Queen Mary was in the wrong and she knew it. Why do you think she hightailed it out of here so fast?"

Queen Elizabeth had no answer, silently conceding the elder ship was right. Still, she wished she could help.