Chapter Seventeen Come On

Gone- Beth Crowley

*TRIGGER WARNING ⚠️ *

    Roscoe and I were still at the counter holding drinks in our hands. I didn't really want to drink anymore, but Roscoe seemed to be ordering me more and more drinks. I didn't know what his problem was. He must really want me to forget tonight, but why? He's not even drinking that much. Wouldn't he want to forget for a night also? He is being deployed in two days, but yet he's still on his first drink. I'm on my second, but I haven't really been drinking it—more like pretending to.

     "Can I ask you something?" He asks, swirling his drink and looking down at it. Oh boy. What's he want to ask?

     "Depends." I say, as everything seems to be a little foggy.

     "On what?" He asks, amused. Why is he amused?

     "I don't know." I giggle for some reason. "Just ask." Why did everything suddenly seem funny to me? Why is he so cute? He's not cute. He's hot. Why is he so hot?

     "Why did you kiss me? That night after your practice?" My brain came back for a few seconds to answer this question.

     "I don't know. It was stupid." I say as he hesitates before smiling and waving toward my drink.

     "Come on. Drink up." Roscoe says, but I set the cup down and shake my head.

     "One was enough, Roscoe," I repeatedly blink my eyes. "I really don't like this stuff."

     "Do you want something else then?" He asks, about to get the bartender's attention. I quickly stop him and shake my head.

     "I'm fine. I just don't want to drink anything for now. I want to let that drink settle with my stomach first- unlike it is now." She mutters the last few words to herself.

     "You wanna do something then?" He asks as I look at him, everything slowly starting to have a slight spin and my brain going a little foggy again.

     "Like what?" I ask as he motions with his hands around the club.

     "Dance. Get in rhythm with the beat. Have fun." I giggle.

     "And be in the middle of a crowd with sweaty people?" I ask before making a weird sound. I frown. I've never made that sound before. That was a weird sound.

     "Are you okay?" He asks with a fake concerned face. I could tell he was trying not to laugh.

     "Shut up," I say, rolling my eyes when they stop on something behind Roscoe. Actually, not a something. A someone. Dallas. Dallas was here. He had just walked through the door, and he had Archer and Rocco behind him as he flapped his jacket and his eyes slowly scanned the room. "Shoot," I mutter while ducking and almost falling out of my chair, but Roscoe catches me when his eyes come toward me.

     "What is it?" Roscoe asks. "What's wrong? Do you feel okay?"

     "I feel fine," I say, slowly looking up to see Dallas facing Rocco and talking to him. Dallas is going to kill me if he sees me here with Roscoe. Archer continues scanning the crowd. "You know what? I changed my mind. Let's go in the midst of sweaty people." I stand and take his hand as he lets me drag him to the crowd, me stumbling with every step.

     "You make it sound less fun and more disgusting." He complains as we make our way into the middle of the crowd. I hit a lot of people as one second, they seem far away, but then suddenly they're right there, but I keep going blinking and shaking my head. What did I drink?