Friends and Foes

"Where am I?"

     Nicole awoke in a bed in the Hospital Wing. Her two only friends stood next to her. They explained how someone had cast a spell on her.

     "Malfoy! It was him! That little... Death Eater!"

     Raven and her sister tried to calm Nicole down, but it was no use. Nicole was released from the hospital wing shortly after, and walked up to the common room. She had not yet got the chance to tour the entire castle, so most of it was unfamiliar to her. She got up to the door and tried to get in. It wouldn't budge.

     "Let me in! I am Ravenclaw, you idiot!"

     "If you look you can not see me, and if you see me you can not see anything else. "

     "What the..."

     Octavia jumped in.

     "You have to answer a riddle to get in. This is the same riddle as yesterday. They always choose easy riddles that still can trick people. Do you think you know what the answer is?"

     "No."

     "The dark." Octavia answered.

     The door swung open. It had books galore, and statues everywhere. It was wide and circular with blue carpeting. There were glass windows everywhere, making sunlight the main source of lighting. People where sitting on couches reading, studying, playing games, or just chatting. Nicole did not enjoy it as much as the Slytherin Dungeon, but it would do. Nicole, Octavia, and Raven went up to the girls dormitory and unloaded their stuff on a bed. Nicole chose a bed by the window, and placed her owl there.

     It immediatly started to growl and complain.

    "Shut up, Scale!"

    It started to growl harder. It clearly was not fond of its name. Nicole continued to unpack her stuff.  Suddenly, she heard a snap and turned around. The owl was gone, and the lock on the cage was snapped in half. The owl became a maniac. It flew around the dormitory bumping into walls and tearing down curtains. Everyone tried to chase after it. A girl opened the dormitory door from the other side, and the owl bursted through into the common room. It flew itself into windows and books. People were going frantic. The owl finally stopped when it rammed into a wizard chess game. A girl and boy were in the middle of playing it, and were not happy when the owl moved all the chess pieces.

     "You idiot! Look what you did to our chess game! Ugh, now how are we supposed to play chess?"

     The owl looked up at the word chess.

     "Chess?" Nicole asked the owl, "That is what you want to be called? Pathetic."

     After that, Chess and Nicole became not friends, but even with one another. Nicole tried to get the owl up, but the girl and boy playing chess were not done with Nicole yet.

     "You idiot! You ruined our chess game and you think you can just get away with it? Uh, I don't think so!"

     "Mudblood!" Nicole yelled.

     "The rumors are right, you SHOULD be on Slytherin!"

     "So? Even if I should, you're so dumb you should be on Hufflepuff, but I bet they won't even accept you!"

      So what started as a little argument about a chess game grew to be a huge, personal fight with hair pulling, blood, and screaming by passers. The boy playing chess had already long left. The girl, however, continued to argue with her. Professor McGonagall bursted through the door.

     "Stop! Do we need a detention in here, Miss Kings and Miss Portan?"

     Both girls said yes at the same time. Octavia and Raven pleaded no.

     "Well, maybe not a detention, but a small punishment. Nicole, Octavia, Raven, Steve, Monica! My office, now!"

     They all walked down together, but separately. Nicole, Raven, and Octavia walked down together.

     "So, she is Monica?" Nicole asked.

     "Yep," Raven continued, "Monica Portan. Third year. Rumor has it that Malfoy has a thing for her."

     Nicole and Octavia groaned at his name. They all walked down to the giant office together. It was extremely big, and an eagle stood outside of it.

     "This is huge." Nicole remarked.

     "Well," Octavia said, "she is the Headmistress. But she never calls herself that. Most likely out of respect for Dumbledore, the old Headmaster. Everyone just calls her Professor. My mom doesn't like it. She thinks that it is unprofessional."

     They all walked into the office and sat down. Malfoy, a boy, and a few other students were already there. Nicole made sure to stay as far aways as possible from Malfoy. She sat down with Raven and Octavia, keeping an eye out for Monica. Monica had wavy blond hair with some brown in it, her eyes were green-blue, and she was decently beautiful. Nicole looked at Malfoy, who was evil and ugly. She then looked at Octavia, who again had fake highlights and too much make-up. McGonagall left, and Nicole and Octavia had time to talk.

     "I don't like all this make-up," Octavia said, "it is not me. This isn't even my realy hair color. I have blond hair, not light brown. My mom wanted to make me look more like Raven, who has black hair. Ya, I don't get it either. I am gonna stop with this make-up. I mean, I will still wear some, but not this much."

     They both looked outside, it was pitch black.

     "It is night already?" Nicole asked.

     "Well," Raven interrupted, "you were in the Hospital Wing for a long time, but it still shouldn't be this dark by now."

     Nicole looked around and saw a boy sitting in the corner. Originally, this would not have bothered her, but he was a Ravenclaw. Nicole started to talk to him.

     "Hey, why are you here?"

     The boy stared at Malfoy.

     "Oh," Nicole said, "I hate that kid. So, what is your name?"

     "Liam. Liam Nova."

     "Hi Liam. Nicole Kings." 

     The rest  of the night was pretty boring.  Nicole started to make a list of her friends and her foes so far. Sadly, the longest list was not people that hated her, but people she hated.