Chapter 5 The Next Lot

As i looked all i could see was dirt surrounding me i got up and started to drag lieutenant marshal back to the trench when we got back in everyone cheered i said "wait" then the lieutenant marshal said "thank you" in a groan to me then he took his last breath and went, "attention" said the major "lets take a moment of peace to respect young marshal and all those we have lost" then the silence ended with the 100th gun shot.

After that i was called to the majors office he said to me that was a stupid but brave thing do and made me staff sergeant, as i walk out he said "oh and Nicolas, don't do that again we can afford to loose one man but not two men", "yes sir" i replied.

When i stepped out of the office all the men where surrounding me and the major came out of his office behind me and said to the men "say hello to your new staff sergeant gentlemen", there where cheers from in front of me  all around people where congratulating me for my success, "right men back to your positions we are in a war" said the major.

After that i wrote home and told mum and Eric about the promotion, that's when i heard the gun shots and the explosions of bombs from both sides one after the other.

2 weeks later we were called together and told that there were more men coming so we were to cover them, a few hours later we were called to our feet they where coming so we covered them", brigadier on board" someone shouted.

"Right now lads very good cover i thank you all" the brigadier said then he came up to me looked me in the eye and said "hello son".