Chapter 16

I sat as still as I could on the large mahogany couch that was in one of Rome’s living rooms, reminding myself that Rome was just at the other end, ready to protect me if any evil killers decided to take their rage out on poor, innocent, little me.

So, what?  I was scared.

I was curled into a tiny ball, my arms wrapped around my legs, making it easy to tell that I was shaking all over.  I cursed my easy will to get scared by horror films.  Why had I even paid the slightest attention?

Every time I closed my eyes, some grotesque picture flashed in my mind, and I had to open my eyes again, despite my tiredness, and stare at a spot on Rome’s wall, willing myself not to go to sleep.

It was early, early morning, given that everyone had stayed up late watching movies, talking, or, in Molly’s case, making out.  But the night was huge success; everyone had had a fantastic time.  Including me.

Except for now.

It was dead silent in the room, so I began listening for Rome’s breathing.  Faintly, I heard it, and I suddenly wanted to go crawl over to Rome’s side of the couch, make him wrap his arms around me, and sleep right in the protection of his embrace.

It was a tempting idea.  But my pride wouldn’t allow it.  I couldn’t help it if scary movies were a sore spot for me.  But I was being a baby.  And I needed sleep desperately.

“Rome?”  I swallowed after speaking, noticing that my voice was scratchy.

“Yes, Julie?”  Rome answered, his voice coated in tiredness.  I felt bad, hoping I didn’t wake him up.

“I don’t want you getting any ideas out of this—or judge me about my insecurities for that matter—but I was just wondering, given that I wasn’t really prepared and now I’m paying the price for my previous mistake—”

“Come here.”

My heart skipped a beat and thudded loudly in my chest at Rome’s commanding, undeniably sexy voice.  I tried to control the breaths coming from my mouth as I leaned up, seeing Rome’s silhouette at the other end, already in upright position.  I crawled over the small distance between us, surprised when Rome pulled me into his arms, hugging me gently.

“Are you afraid?”  He whispered in my ear, causing my breathing to grow rapid within a few seconds.  His warm breath tickled my skin, and my voice failed me for a few seconds.

“Yes,” I answered, my voice muffled by his shirt.  I had to admit, I wasn’t tired in the slightest now.  And I realized, with Rome’s warm body pressed against mine, that I was pretty cold.

“I’m gonna set up the pullout.  Is that okay with you?”  I leaned away so I could look at Rome’s face, his features discernible from the closeness of our faces.

“You have a pullout, and you were gonna make us sleep on the couch?”  I asked incredulously, seeing an amused grin find its way onto Rome’s lips.  Which, I happened to notice, were mere inches from my own.

“I didn’t want you to be uncomfortable with sleeping in the same bed as me.  Given, it’s hardly a bed, but still—”

“Rome.  Set up the damn thing.”  I pulled away, going back to my side of the couch to get my blanket.  I hopped off the couch, watching as Rome threw the middle two cushions off the couch, hearing them land somewhere in the living room floor.  He pushed the grand coffee table to the side, going to the couch, and pulled out our makeshift bed.

It did unnerve me slightly to think that’d we’d be sleeping in the same bed.  When we went to the Caribbean, he slept on the couch, and it wasn’t a big deal.  This was different.