Chapter 4

That Saturday, approximately three days after I spent the night with Rome, his parents set us up on a date.  As though they were in control of our relationship.  I don’t know which upset me more; that, or the fact that Rome seemed to be completely disgusted with me ever since his parents came to his house and had that talk with us.  I can’t describe how close I was to telling him that being disgusted with me was exactly what his parents had not wanted him to act like.

“You look beautiful, Julie.”  Mrs. Madden said as I walked into the living room of my house.  I’d put on an outfit completely picked out by Mrs. Madden, and I felt like a stranger in it.  I was uncomfortable, the dress hugged my figure a little too much, and I had a wedgie that I was sure was beginning to chafe.  Plus, the fact that Mrs. Madden was in my aunt and uncle’s house was slightly unnerving.

“Thank you.”  I managed out with a tight smile.  With a glance at Rome, I knew he wasn’t going to be all the way there mentally, because he merely served me a glance before his gaze settled on the wall somewhere.

I told myself I wasn’t insulted, and Rome didn’t hurt my feelings.

Rome looked fantastically gorgeous, and even though he wore tuxes nearly everyday, the fact that he was wearing one for our date made it all the more special.

“Well, I guess you two should be on your way.”  Mrs. Madden smiled giddily, causing a sick feeling to turn my stomach over.  This would be an awful night.  If they wanted Rome and I to fall in love, they should just back off.

As Rome and I walked out the door, I kept my mind off the way Rome steered clear of any physical contact by telling myself that the dress I was wearing was so not my style.

“Your dress is…”  Rome actually tried to start conversation in the car, but his tone said he’d rather stay quiet.  As if he was being forced to talk.  So I kept my arms crossed over my chest, and my angry gaze stayed on the window.

“Not my type.”  I finished for him, barely giving him a glance before going back to my position.  As the silence grew, so did my anger.  It wasn’t my fault that his parents had to be so retarded!  I mean, why was Rome ignoring me when I could do nothing about the way they are?

I heard him sigh, and through my peripherals, saw him run a nervous hand through his hair.

“Jules…”  He paused, hesitating.  “I’m…” Frustration grew.  “I uh…”

“What?”  My tone was sharp, and I felt bad for saying anything at all.  Rome was trying to say something, and now he probably wouldn’t want to speak to me ever again.

“I’m sorry for acting so rudely these past couple of days.  My mind has been preoccupied by…”  By how much regret he’s feeling for ever agreeing to marry me.  I knew that’s what he was thinking, and my heart sank wearily.  “By…,”  Rome tried again, failing.  I let out a short, angered sigh, my eyes shooting over to him.

“By realization that I’m not your type?  That you regret agreeing to marry me?  What, Rome?  What is so hard for you to spit out?  Don’t spare my feelings, not that you have been the last three days…”