Chapter 11

“Julie, honey.  You look absolutely amazing.”  Mrs. Madden’s voice was actually a shade of genuine, and I couldn’t help but grin as I looked at her smiling face in the reflection of the grand mirror before me.  We were currently in Mrs. Madden’s room; we being me, Aunt Maggie, Mrs. Madden, and one of my best friends, Molly, who’d arrived a little earlier on that day.

“I totally agree with Beth, dear,” Maggie piped in, emerging from behind me to look at me from the front.  “Jules, you look stunning.”

“I’m sure that Rome boy will be slobbering at your feet,” Molly said, being her usual self, saying the wrong things in the wrong situations.  But hey, I loved her for it.  Mrs. Madden cleared her throat, also coming to the front of me.  I assessed her in her Christmas gown, noting how amazing she looked, too.  Everyone I had seen so far tonight had looked gorgeous, without a doubt.

“Julie, dear, we need to get you downstairs so you and Rome can dance and talk to potential clients.”  I smiled at her all-business attitude.  That was so like Beth Madden.  She ushered everyone out of her bedroom, and led the way as we walked towards the extravagant ballroom, where the party was being held.  Most of the guests had already arrived, including all my best friends from camp and Rome’s college buddies.

“You look nervous,” Molly whispered in my ear, so Mrs. Madden or Maggie wouldn’t overhear.  I felt her arm linked through my own, and she pulled me close.

“Probably because I am.  If you think that tonight’s going to be easy for me, you’re dead wrong,” I muttered, smiling cheekily at Molly’s amused expression.

“Psh, tonight’s not gonna be easy for me, considering I have to restrain myself from jumping all these delicious guys here.  Have you seen them?”  She paused, but not long enough for me to answer.  “Oh wait, you haven’t even been out of Mrs. Madden’s room.  It’s like that woman has the single intention of showing you off to your fullest, and only that.”  Molly was rambling, but it was soothing to my ears.

When we arrived at the grand entrance to the ballroom, the two door keepers bowed to the four ladies entering the room, opening to doors so we could sweep our way into the room.  And I had to admit, as much as I hated fairytales and all that crap, I felt like a princess, and it was amazing.

Everyone in the enormous, highly decorated room turned to look at us, mainly because the host of the party was among us.  But still, having everyone look at you felt oddly amazing in an utterly nerve-racking way.  Immediately, I scanned the floors and the balcony area for Rome, and soon, I found him in the corner, with his buddies, all staring.  Rome smiled and winked at me, making me blush a deep red.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Who is that hunka hunka burnin’ love with your fiancé?”  Molly asked under her breath, and I laughed at her old ways.  Always looking for guys.  But she was gorgeous, so I wasn’t quite sure how this night would play out.  There were many people – including attractive men – at the Christmas ball, and all my friends were staying at Rome’s tonight.  Including Rome’s friends, who were also very attractive, I noticed.  I wasn’t sure who would hook up, but at the moment, all I was focused on was Rome’s smile as he gestured for me to join him and his friends.

By then, our grand entrance was over, and everyone was back to their business talking amongst themselves.  My eyes never left Rome’s as Molly and I started our way to where they were standing, but after a few numbers, a familiar face blocked my path.

“Julie!  Have I told you that you’re the most beautiful woman in the room?”  I smiled up into Jeremy’s face, returning the hug he suddenly gave me.  Over Jeremy’s shoulder, I saw Rome’s glare and the absence of the smile that graced his face only seconds ago.  I shot him an apologetic look before pulling away from Jeremy.