Chapter 7

Chapter Seven

"Gwendolyn Markworth Your Majesty." I curtsied once again.

"Barric Fairbairn Your Majesty." Barric gave a deep bow.

"Tristan has told me that you are looking to take a husband?"

"Yes Your Majesty."

"For reasons I know not off I have taken an interest in you Gwendolyn." My toes curled and my muscles tightened. Never more in my life did I desire to be invisible. The King taking an interest in me was dangerous for not only myself but my family as well. "I have asked about and helped Tristan collect four possible matches."

"We appreciate your assistance greatly Your Majesty." Barric smiled yet it never reached his eyes. He too did not take a liking to the King.

"Happy to help. Come, take wine with me before you leave." Cerin stepped off the dais and wandered past the columns where a small table was set up. It was filled with an assortment of snacks along with four casks of wine.

I looked to Tristan; he gave me a slight nod of reassurance. Barric and I followed the King. Servants appeared from thin air and drew out chairs for Barric and I. Cerin merely watched me as took my seat and was handed a goblet of wine. He waited expectantly. I tipped the goblet back and took a long sip. It was a fine wine, I could taste rich currant, but I had never developed a taste for wine. If I ever drank anything it was an occasional pint of ale.

"Very good Your Majesty." I nodded my head and managed a weak smile.

"Not to pry," by his tone he definitely wanted to pry. "but why such a young beautiful woman such as yourself wait so long to take a husband?"

"My parents promised me that if I was ever to marry I would get to marry for love, like they did. But after the death of my mother things changed." I clenched my teeth.

"Ah, marrying for love. I am afraid such a thing does not exist my dear. Marriage is a form of advancement and an end goal." His tone was crisp. "I have begun the search to find Tristan a proper wife. Not just anyone can become Queen." I felt as if his words held a double meaning. He did not like my relationship with Tristan.

"Of course not. The prince needs a proper match." I replied stiffly.

"Father, Gwendolyn should be going now. She has a long day ahead of her." Tristan interjected. I had not realized that he had been listening. A blush crept to my cheeks; he too had heard his father's statement.

"Ah yes, that you do. It was wonderful to meet you." He stood and swept over to me. He took my hands and raised me from the chair. "I hope you find a proper match my dear." Cerin gave a deep bow and place a kiss on his fingers. His eyes remained locked with mine the entire time. He was looking for something, what, I know not. I grew even wearier of the King.

Cerin gave one last smile before exiting the room. When he was gone it was as if the entire room had been holding its breath and it had just begun to breath again. Barric and I turned to each other, each holding differing levels of disbelief. This was already turning out to be a strange day.

"Apologies." Tristan said stepping forward. "My father can be a strange man at times but he is a good man."

"Of course he is Your Highness." I nodded. The clacking of heels on marble echoed in the throne room. The three of us turned towards the noise. A stiff looking woman was walking our way. She wore an extremely modest drab grey dress, the neckline rose to her jaw. Black hair was tied into a bun atop the crown of her head. Not a wisp was out of place. Her features were harsh and bird like. Tristan groaned.