In the Lair of the Draca (Book 2) Chapter 50: Drowning [short]

Searing pain in Ziuta's bronchioles jolted her out of a miserable half-stupor.

Kind Heart, having clutched Ziuta close to his breast in a last-minute turmoil of indecision, had provided her a few precious moments to picture the noble death which she felt she must embrace, with chin high and eyes bright. The waves would envelop her like a cool, briny blanket, smooth bubbles shielding her vulnerable backside as she drifted to the bottom, all the while filling her lungs with as much air as she dared. Eternity would take her then, and life would gradually ebb, until the pale blue wonderland of Haven's Creek melded into the fresh white of star-light.

Then Kind Heart's arms had heaved-- after which came the stomach-roiling sensation of falling-- and the dull smack of placid water against tender flesh.

To Ziuta, it was like striking cobble-stones.

Her eyes, which until then had been squeezed shut for dear life, popped open and immediately absorbed the sting of the brackish swells. She could not see, she could not hear, and for a few terrifying seconds she could not think, so complete was her shock at the impact with the water.

Reflexively, Ziuta's mouth bloomed in a wide, silent scream. Rivules of water rushed into her nostrils and throat. She had never imagined it would be like this; the instinct to breathe, to survive, was so basic that she could not help gulping great mouthfuls of the salty creek water. Her body rebelled furiously (it was something akin to breathing fire). Why did she not pass out from the pain?

Inches away from the creek bottom, something gigantic whipped past on Ziuta's left, clipping the loose end of her ankle manacles. She was jerked forward, then to one side, and finally a nauseating 360 degrees. The cold, stiff feel of a creature's hide zipped across her aching thighs, raking a good length of Ziuta's skin off along with it.

Great Sister Star, a hide! Some ravenous animal is going to eat me alive down here, and the star-spirits will never recognize me!

Something in Ziuta's consciousness that had been stretched taut snapped. Slowly, gradually, her tenuous grip on the thread of life slackened, and all was still.  

..............................................................................................................................................................................................