In The Lair of the Draca (Book 2) Chapter 61: Ova

Joo-Lee's belly was taut and shiny.

The little auburn-curled Star-Child had come down with fever the previous evening, keeping almost everyone in Gormaq's forlorn household awake with a sudden, ratcheting cough. As the night progressed, the cough became loose and bubbly, as though Joo-Lee had swallowed something wet which refused to pass into her stomach.

Mother, still so deeply in mourning for Ziuta's loss that she could do little more than lie on her sleeping bench with her back to the world, knees tucked into her belly and arms wrapped round them while she rocked back and forth, was of no help. Instead, it was Amek who rose from a fitful sleep and padded to Joo-Lee's side with a warm cloth and bowl of water. Michek, having become placidly serene in Ziuta's absence and worked herself nearly to exhaustion with wedding plans and embroidering, slept soundly. Only Bichek and Gormaq made themselves available to help: the old man by hobbling to Amek's side with his walking staff and peering worriedly into Joo-Lee's face, and Bichek by hovering awkwardly, squeezing and re-squeezing her fingers until they turned blue, before finally ghosting to the hearth and building a fire for tea.

Gormaq's brows, already deeply furrowed from a lifetime of guilt and anxiety, were a mass of creases and wrinkles. "Well?" he asked in a hoarse whisper. "What can be done?" This was actually a code question for "When will the Offspring come?", for the entire family had known about Joo-Lee's unfortunate condition, though none of them would have dared risked bad luck by speaking of it aloud.

Amek smoothed a few sweaty curls away from Joo-Lee's forehead and shrugged helplessly. "Look here," she said, gently lifting the Star-Child's sleeping apron. "See how her belly is stretched to the breaking-point? If what is inside does not come soon, she will burst from the inside or die from poisoning. Even now, if you look closely, you can see the little paws moving-- there!" Amek pointed. Gormaq drew in a deep intake of breath when the reverse imprint of a five-fingered paw pressed itself against the inside of Joo-Lee's womb, raked tiny claws, and then withdrew. Joo-Lee, who had begun to moan, never opened her eyes. Tiny dots of sweat beaded along her hair-line.

"What interventions shall you make?" Gormaq's age-spotted hand clutched the head of his walking staff tighter.

"What do you mean, 'you'? I'm just a girl!" Amek protested.

"And I am but a mere village-man...and a weak one, at that. What knowledge have I of women's birthings and labor pains, especially where a-- a hatchling is involved?"

Amek's eyes were troubled as she clasped white hands to the spot under her breast. "Had Pomoq not sent Sashek away on whatever excursions he has had planned for her, we might have had a suitable midwife for birthing. But me... aiiiiiiie! I can do nothing!"

Gormaq jerked at the edge of his sleeping cloak impatiently. "No woman in Looks Thrice compares to Pomoq where midwivery is concerned," he muttered, turning toward the door. "Pomoq-- yes, that is the answer. He has delivered not only my own children, but myself and my lost little Sister, besides. I would trust no one else with a daughter of my Hearth." Gormaq headed for the lodge door.

"Wait!" Amek cried. "It is too dangerous! Pomoq may be recovering, but he still has not left his lodge. If you are seen this late wandering the village, Amiechek or Malaraq will be bound to ask you what you're up to! Is that a chance we truly want to risk?"

"Do you mean to ask if I have fear of my own Council Members? No!"

"Those same Council Members are the ones who sent Ziuta to her Death!" protested Amek. "At this moment, Pomoq is still helpless, and I don't trust that fat old woman as far as I could throw her. Please, stay with us!"

Gormaq hesitated. On the sleeping bench that she used to share with Ziuta, Joo-Lee suddenly retched, heaved, and vomited a putrid-smelling mixture that seeped into all of her night-time wear. Bichek hurried forward with a small cup of tea, but Amek waved her aside.