In the Lair of the Draca (Book 2) Chapter 43: Spiders and Dragon Battles

The evening had a smooth, fresh scent that reminded one of winter-time bolberry nuts. The palatable morsels grew all year round, though in the cooler months each nut grew softer and, when chewed, exuded a sweet, honey-like juice that small children could rarely resist.

Had she not been so troubled by the day's turn of events, Sashek might have picked a few nuts of her own-- she preferred hers roasted in one of Mother's pans over a fire-- but tasty treats were the furthest things from Sashek's mind.

After watching Ziuta leave the lodge with Malaraq's bread-loaf tucked carefully under one arm, Sashek had forced herself to drink two and a half cups of Pomoq's heart-calming tea to try and still the pounding in her chest, but to no avail. Other than a more frequent urge to urinate, she felt no different.

For several hours she had sat hunched on her tea-mat in mute terror, allowing Joo-Lee to rest her head in her lap so that Sashek could stroke the curious, auburn-sable curls, but Amiechek had not come thundering to the door with accusations of treachery for harboring a girl who gestated a Draca hatchling. Still, it did not mean that Waru hadn't told, and if she did not do so tonight, then she would do so tomorrow. Or the next day...or the next.

Waru was one of the most intelligent young women in Looks Thrice, and she never forgot a troubling detail.

And so Sashek had sat, rocking gently back and forth, watching with tremoring lips as Gormaq shuffled about the lodge readying himself for bed, and feeling guilty at her irritation that Mother still had the will to whistle pleasantly as she bustled about, replacing freshly washed mugs and kettles on their shelves. The Twins had finished folding clothes (for about the tenth time) and had left the lodge together, where they would saunter to the well and discuss the wedding details that Michek so loved to rehash, but Sashek could not stand it any longer.

Joo-Lee was in danger; she had been found out, and it would not be long before someone burst their way into Gormaq's home to snatch Joo-Lee to oblivion.

Sashek had risen quietly and tip-toed out of the lodge, closing the door gently behind her. She had to see Pomoq. Surely he would know what could be done--

"The door is unlatched," came the familiar voice from within, now laced with a tinge of weariness that Sashek was unaccustomed to. "Why do you simply stand in front of a wooden barrier, like a deer with shining lights in his eyes?"

"How did-- never mind." Sashek slowly pushed the door open (it squealed on its hinges as it widened) and stepped inside with the proper piety.

Once inside, Pomoq, who was reclining on his sleeping bench with Green Wings perched on one hand, waved Sashek to the guest mat with his free hand and continued his 'conversation'.

"And so Red Tail thought she had the right to steal one of your own eggs, simply because a snake found her nest and made a meal of her own chicklings?" He cocked his head at the corbeau-speckled bird, who erupted into a serious of angry sounding, lilting chirrups.

"Well, my dear, try to see things from Red Tail's perspective. The fruit bird, as you well know, does not lay a clutch of egg for at least five to seven years. Now, all of Red Tail's babies are gone, and Red Tail may not survive to see another set of hungry mouths. That is why she took it upon herself to take one of your eggs."

A single, grudging peep.

Sashek shifted on her tea-mat. "Pomoq--"

He waved at her impatiently. "Now, then, how many eggs did you say you have left?"

A series of five lyrical chirps.

"Five, you say? Then that still gives you plenty of your own hungry mouths to stuff...and a sixth that you can watch grow up strong and healthy, even if from afar."