In the Lair of the Draca (Book 2) Chapter 24: Paichek

"...I say! Paichek, what is going on up there?"

Franek froze. The little lamb which burrowed into the hem of her garment for safety seemed to stiffen as well, as though it, too, knew the horrors that came associated with Dragura's voice. Sap-sweet though it was, few were fooled by it anymore. There was no solace, no absolution at the feet of Dragura.

"Paichek!" Dragura's voice was sharper this time, but Franek heard no footsteps. Silently cursing herself for not having come up with more details in her elaborate plan to 'question' the Draca, Franek bit her lip and huddled against the opposite end of one stone turret, pressing her back against cold slabs of stone. The masonry seemed to suck the very warmth out of her bones, which were now beginning to honey-comb with the brittle-bone disease; few women lived to be Franek's age.

Why under the Twin Moons did I not devise some crafty answer in the event that Dragura would come to the turrets and find me doing Paichek's work? Why did I not presume she would be furious for finding me up here in Paichek's place? Will Paichek suffer because of me?

The little lamb bawled impatiently, leaving a wet spot on Franek's already soiled gown. She felt exposed, lost, and deeply afraid under the blazing brightness of the Twin Moons. Across from her, the stunted Draca who were chained to the turrets strained and salivated at the sight of the lamb; they did not seem to be much affected by the threat of Dragura (for which Franek envied them), but there was a noticeable difference in the graceful, swan-like creatures who perched before her. The three largest creatures shivered and shook their heads in nervousness, the way cattle did when they knew they were about to be branded. One fluttered her wings, stretched them, and left them extended-- as though their size conveyed some measure of security-- and the largest, which had nudged the lamb back into Franek's arms, snorted and sneezed. These were the actions of frightened animals, of broken animals. As much as Franek despised dragons, she felt sorrowful that they, too, must suffer from the wrath of their tormentor. No creature, no matter how hated or feared, deserved to live with its neck crushed perpetually beneath the haughty foot of--

"Paichek!" This time, there were muffled footsteps up the stairs. "I am coming up there! Does it take you this long to toss some food at my babies so one can get a decent night's rest?"

Beside Franek, the square hatch that led from the inside of the fortress to the roof and turrets rattled as Dragura attempted to unlatch it.

Franek did something she knew one must never do in Dragura's presence if one valued one's life-- she panicked.

I am done for! The trap-door flew open. Dragura ascended like an empress, back straight and tall, the long coils of her jade hair having been washed recently and pinned in a tight bun at the nape of her elegant neck; Franek could smell the soap-weed from where she crouched. Dragura wore a simple nightdress of translucent silk that left little to the imagination: her high breasts were still firm, for she had never born the true offspring of the Evening folk, and a dark triangle of intimate curls was visible just beneath her belly. Franek swallowed and turned away; proper women chastened themselves for daring to show an ankle in the common area, let alone the rest of their bodies. No matter how many times Franek and the other handmaidens saw Dragura and her various, see-through camisoles, the experience was no less shocking. In Franek's case, it turned her stomach.

"You?" Dragura finished ascending and looked down at Franek as though she were a misshapen insect squashed beneath someone's heel. "What on Weema's Paradise are you doing up here? And with an animal in your lap, besides? Have you gone mad?" Suspicion clouded Dragura's sharp eyes, which were heavily lashed and lined meticulously with dark ink that swirled gracefully outward at the edges, giving her the appearance of having cat's eyes. The Cat, which was crafty, was one of Dragura's favorite creatures.