Always Running - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The cannibals have thrown Will and me in a cage with the rest of the crew from the Black Pearl. I don’t understand why Jack has put us in these cages if he wants us to save him. It honestly doesn’t make sense. Oh Jack. It is wonderful to see him again. I have missed him so much the past few months. I really have missed him and all his weirdness. I still love him but I am still feeling betrayed by him.  He promised me that he would look after me and he didn’t. He failed me and oh is he going to get it when I am out of this cage.

“Why would he do this to us? If Jack is the chief...” Will begins to ask Gibbs but Gibbs soon interrupts.

“Aye. The Pelegostos have made Jack their chief. But he only remains chief as long as he acts like a chief” He tells us while looking down with a nervous glance.

“So he had no choice. He's a captive there as much as the rest of us” I ask Gibbs. I knew that Jack wouldn’t have put us in here purposely.

“Worse, as it turns out. You see, the Pelegostos believe that Jack is a god in human form. And they intend to do 'im the honor of releasing him from his fleshy prison. They'll roast him and eat him” Gibbs tells me. I think I am going to be sick. Poor Jack I have to save him.

“Where's the rest of the crew?” Will asks while looking around.

“Yes where is Anna-Maria, I have missed her so much” I tell Gibbs with a smile while looking around for her. I can’t see her in this cage maybe she is in the opposite cage.

“I’m terribly sorry Miss Swan but these cages we're in weren't built 'till after we got here. The feast is about to begin. Jack's life will end... when the drums stop” Gibbs tells me with tears in his eyes and I’m sure there was tears in mine too. I cry for Anna-Maria and Jack. No one deserves to die. I sit on the floor of the cage earning weird expressions of the rest of the crew. Will sits next to me and tries to comfort me but it doesn’t work as I just sit and cry some more. I have been a emotional wreck since I was with Jack on the pearl the last time.

“Well, we can't just sit here and wait then, can we?” Will says while pulling me to my feet. He starts to try and swing the cage we all soon pick up on the movement and we hit the rock face with a crash.

“Put your legs through! Start the climb!” Gibbs shouts and we all start to climb using all of our strength.

“Come on men, it'll take all of us to crew the Black Pearl!” Will shouts to encourage us but the pirate in the other cage states what has been staring us all in the face for a while now.

“Actually, you wouldn't need everyone. About six would do”

Oh dear, I look across and see 6 in the opposite cage and 7 in ours.

“Come on men keep climbing” I shout and the pace soon picks up.

“Hurry!” Will shouts while panting as he picks up the pace.

“Heave! Is that all you've got?” Marty joins in. I look across and see a young native on the bridge.

“Stop, stop!” I whisper to the opposite cage and ours. I look across and see the other cage moving up slowly.

“Stop!” Will tries to tell them but they ignore him too. I hope we win because if he does it will ruin the day. He is a complete idiot. I look across and see one of the pirates grab a snake. They all scream and let go of the vines that they were using to climb and they all fall backwards. The cage smashes against the other side and they all fall down the chasm screaming which draws the attention of the native on the bridge.

“Move!” Will shouts and we all move at the fastest pace possible. God I am so going to sleep well tonight.

We reach the top of the cliff.