Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

Bess was at the office just like I expected her to be. I’d swear she lived there if I hadn’t already seen the inside of her house. Days and nights, there always seemed to be something that needed her attention.

She wasn’t alone like the thousand times before I came to see her. She stood with a man in front of her desk. He was pretty tall with dark unruly hair piled on top of his head. He had turned sharply when the office door opened and I took note that his hazel eyes were oddly close to orange. His sharp suit and sharper eyes suggested he was a fed.

Bess motioned us into her office. “I wasn’t expecting you this early.”

“My sister was driving me crazy. We can come back if you need to finish.”

“It’s fine. This is John Rezner, we used to work together back in Washington and now he’s agreed to lend a helping hand to track the Martins. Johnny, this is Caleb and Evie.” Bess explained and then hands were shaken and pleasantries exchanged. She continued afterward. “It turns out the Martins have caused trouble before.” She passed me a folder with the FBI crest stamped on it.

My latest shit storm was starting to feel very official.

It turned out Alexandra’s brother, Davis, had a pretty long record for theft, battery, and attempted murder. Her little sister, Marissa, was suspected in a dozen or so robberies. Just great. The head bitch in charge herself managed to keep her name clean.

I sighed. “It’s safe to assume Marissa was snatching some precious artifacts. The mask might’ve just been the next item on a long list.”

Caleb read the file from over my shoulder. He turned and our eyes caught. “Then maybe they don’t plan to bring back the witch. This could all be about selling it to the highest bidder.” He made no attempt to move so I did. I stepped back and took a seat on the couch. I wouldn’t survive the meeting, or the day, if he kept getting that close. Caleb’s intoxicating scent and all around consuming presence made it harder for me to forget about my feelings for him and how it was better for the both of us if I did.

“It’s possible.” Bess agreed. “But whomever they sell it to could have more nefarious plans. The objective remains the same; we keep the mask hidden.”

“And find those annoying pain in the ass witches.” I added with frustration. “I’m stuck looking over my shoulder and avoiding my house until they’re locked up. They know magic and they know a lot about charmed artifacts, there’s no telling what they can be up to right now.”

Bess’ cool stare studied me. “What are you thinking?” We’d gotten to know each other pretty well over the last few weeks, and she knew how to read people. I wasn’t surprised by her question.

“I want to bring the party to them. I have my memories, I have my magic, I think it’s time I turn the tables and make them run scared. Before you say no, remember we also have a pretty kickass backup team assembled too. Ethan and Lorelei are willing to help.”

“How noble of them.” She grumbled under her breath. When everything was said and done and we were alone, I made a note to ask her what the story was with Ethan. There obviously was one. “We don’t know where to find the Martins.”

“Exactly why I need them to come to me. I can draw them out of hiding by getting back on the radar. They need me if they want to find the mask.”

Bess leaned back against the front of her desk. “Why do I always get the stubborn ones? I know you won’t listen if I say no.”

“That’s not true.” I smiled wide. “Do I have your blessing?”

Her stare drifted over to Caleb. “What do you think?”