Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

I was surprised when I opened my eyes. I thought I was a goner after being poisoned by the demon. My lack of experience with the underworld dweller left me grossly unprepared but apparently the same couldn’t be said for Caleb. I knew he was the only reason I was still alive. He was the only person there when I collapsed.

I was no longer in Caleb’s house but instead we were at the pack’s compound. I recognized the smell of the wood logs and the dark atmosphere of his bedroom.

“The last time I needed patching up you brought me to this same spot.” My voice cracked from dry mouth. I felt like I swallowed a pound of sand.

Caleb appeared at my side in seconds. “How are you feeling?” his indigo eyes scanned over my face and upper body for obvious signs.

“Alive. I don’t feel ready to puke all over this lovely bed spread.” I still felt weak as I tried to sit up and needed his hands to aid me. “What did I miss?”

“I thought it was a safer idea to bring you here, where they couldn’t find you before.”

“I figured that out on my own. How am I not dead?”

His long index and middle finger brushed my hair back behind my ear. “You’re not the only one who knows some witchcraft.” His hand lingered on my cheek.

Not only did I feel at an utter loss, I was very intrigued. “What does that mean?” there were spells sold at every shop for humans to use successfully but as far as I knew, Caleb never showed an interest in witchcraft.

Caleb Nikolas was a man of mystery and that hadn’t changed. “It’s two hours until four. You might feel better but is it enough for whatever trap you want to lay?”

“It’s going to have to be.” It wasn’t like I could call Alexandria up and ask for an extension. She wanted the mask and I stupidly told the demon I was willing to deliver.

Caleb hadn’t stopped touching me since I woke up, be it my hair, my cheek, the curve of my neck and shoulder. His serious eyes held our stare with a relentless passion I couldn’t dare ignore. I welcomed his kiss as he came in closer to close what felt like an impossible distance. A distance of my own creation by reasons I honestly felt were valid. How could I be the bad guy when I just wanted to protect him? Except, how could something like this kiss be wrong? I felt so at peace with him.

You don’t have to deny him forever, a slight voice whispered in my subconscious.  One day the war with The Coven would be over and I’d finally be free. I just had to find a way to be strong until then. I had to keep my focus on the long run.

I placed my hands on his shoulders and brushed him away. I hated myself for having to hurt him. I climbed out of the bed. “Two hours isn’t enough time to get ready and to the office if we don’t leave now.”

Caleb joined me near the door. He took my wrist before I could take another step. “I know what you’re doing and I know now isn’t the time to discuss it. After the Martins are taken care of, there’s a long conversation you and I need to have.” He let go of my hand and left the room first.

 I was relieved and nervous at the same time. Relieved because he was going to put the brakes on his blunt honesty and let me breathe. Nervous because that moment of relief was going to come to an end and I’d have to figure out what came next. It had to be something I could live with. I had no answers as to what that was.

I found Caleb in the kitchen putting away some clear bottles containing magic. I was drawn to them from the moment I stepped into the room. “Is this what you used?”