Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

I must’ve fallen asleep some point on the couch after Elissa headed off to bed.  My eyes opened later to find the sun was up and some clucking bird outside was pissed. The ugly screech it was making could wake the dead.

I had zero desire to move from my twisted position on the couch because I knew the minute I did, the aches would settle in my neck and back. Fuck, I missed my bed.

“Would coffee help?” Elissa asked, holding her own mug.

“It couldn’t hurt.” I gave up on the losing battle and finally sat up. “Why didn’t you wake me?”

“You looked peaceful.”

“Liar.”

“Here.” She handed me white mug of black coffee. “Here’s your phone too. It’s been going off for the last half hour. I didn’t answer it because I didn’t think you’d want him to know where you are.”

The phone showed five missed calls from Caleb. “He already knows I’m here. If he thought I was somewhere potentially dangerous, he wouldn’t wait to find me.”

“He knows the cabin is hidden here. He could’ve showed up by now, why hasn’t he?” Elissa curiosity was etched all over her face with tight knit brows and pursed lips.

“Maybe he knows it’ll be super awkward and wants to avoid it? I don’t know but I’m glad he isn’t here. I needed this break away from his intensity. Everything with him is turned up to an eleven.” That was the God’s honest truth. Sometimes it was even hard to breathe with his dark blue eyes watching me because of the way my heart ran without control.

“You’re going to have to talk to him eventually and something tells me he won’t back down either. Why don’t you give up trying to push him away for his own good?” My little sister; the matchmaker.

“I have it under control.”

“Sure, right, that’s exactly why you came here last night all frazzled.” The sarcasm gene in our family was given to us in abundance.

“Anyway,” I said very loudly to get the point across. “why don’t we talk about your suicide mission instead?”

“It’s not a suicide mission.” Elissa groaned out each word as she came and sat with me on the couch. “It’s actually the opposite of that. I want a real life without having to hide who I really am.”

“Like I did. No, it’s ok, I know what you meant. I went more than a decade without using magic and when I did use it again, it was this most beautiful feeling of freedom that I’ll never forget. It was like coming home without all the ugly memories attached to it.”

“God gave us the freedom of choice and our Coven Elders ripped it away. I want it back, Evie. That’s all I want.” The words were heavy for someone her age, yet there was no denying the passion in which she spoke them.

I sat my coffee cup down and took her hand. “We have to stick together if we want a fighting chance. We have to be honest every step of the way.”

“You’re not going to try and talk me out of it?”

“I know better than to try. We’re going to have to be careful because if the Coven catches on there’s a potential threat, they’ll close ranks and we won’t be able to reach the others. Planning, espionage, clandestine, we need help from people who know those things.”

“You have someone in mind?”

“My boss and her boss; Bess Jane and Matthew Stevens. He leads an elite FBI team that works in the supernatural, they’ve managed to keep hidden for years and nab some pretty big targets.”