Chapter Ten

Nico knocked, stealing himself for the confused look he would get when the door opened. No one answered. A minute went by, then two. Nico let himself in to Percy's cabin. It was empty. After Percy had left, Will had asked him what was going on. Nico had said that he knew what Percy was going through, and they said no more about it. After dinner, Will had given Nico a push towards Percy's cabin, and Nico had gone down towards it. He had looked back once, to see Will still watching him. He waved, then didn't look back again. He had passed Luna and Flame, and their friend Joy, and waved. Luna and Flame seemed cool, but he couldn't get a read on Joy. As Nico surveyed the cabin, he noticed a piece of paper on Percy's bed. Nico's mind leapt to conclusions. Please don't be a suicide note, he thought fervently. Please, please, please. He sat down on Percy's bed and grabbed the piece of paper gingerly, as if it might disappear or turn to dust. He slowly read the first sentence. Then the rest of the letter.

To whoever finds this,

I'm sorry. I know its weak and stupid, but I can't be here anymore. There's too much history. Someone tell Luna and Flame thanks for me tho, ok? Tell Annabeth it's not her fault.

Nico broke off reading when a shadow passed over him. He looked up. Wills sunlight hair looked dirty blond in the dark of the cabin. He saw the paper in Nico's hand.

"What's that?"

"Note. I'm not sure what its getting at though."

"Ok. You should really read with a light on.." Will flipped the lamp on.

"Thanks." Nico smiled weakly up at him.

"No prob."

"Do you want me to...?"

"You don't need to. You can if you want, though."

"Ok." Will turned to leave. "I love you."

"Love you too."

Nico continued reading.

Tell Joy she had nothing to do with it. Even though... Yeah. I'm getting ahead of myself. Thats all, really. Please don't try to find me. I'll be fine on my own.

Percy

Nico covered his mouth with his hand, and sobbed once. Immediately, Will rushed in.

"Crying over him?" It was the same demonic voice as last time. "How long will it take you to realize I'm the one you need? I never left you!"

Nico's eyes flew open. Will was again at his side, but Nico felt none of the dark rage he felt in his nightmares.

"Nic? You ok?"

Nico took a few gulping breaths. Will reached out for him, and he flinched.

"Nico?" Wills face morphed, from concerned to confused to scared. "What happened?"

"I've been dreaming. About you. And you- you're scary. A monster." Will drew back, away from Nico. "No! No like that. In my dreams. It's horrible. You sound like a demon, and you're saying all the things I feel you would say if I do anything wrong, and-"

"Nico. I only want you. I would never break up with you. I love you."

"You're saying all my worst fears. And I never know when it's going to happen. I don't know when I'm dreaming anymore." He was sobbing.

"Nico. We're a team. I'm here. What did the note say" Will grabbed the paper, now on the floor.

"Percy left. I don't know where to. He said not to look for him. I was gonna bring this to Chiron."

"Then let's bring it to Chiron. Come on."

"Ok. " Will pulled Nico off the bed, and they walked out of Percy's cabin into the sunlight. They walked to the big house, and if you had been standing outside any of the windows, you would have seen two boys, one pale as snow with hair as dark as night, and the other tan and golden, like he lived with the sun. You would see a centaur, face ashen and eyes filled with worry. And if you were watching very closely you would have seen a tear slip out of the raven haired boys eye, and land and disappear among the floorboards of the house.