Chapter 10

Theo jogged upstairs and changed into a black polo and some dark jeans and then rushed back downstairs so he wouldn’t miss Evie. Turns out putting on a wig took a lot longer than he thought.

It was about twenty minutes before Evie came down, but it was worth the wait. He heard her heals before he saw her as she walked along the left side of their main divided staircase. When she finally turned towards him she took his breath away with her grace and beauty.

Her hair was still as long as ever but she was now a strawberry blonde. Even with the complete hair change she still managed to look stunning as she carefully descended the stairs, one hand on the railing at all times.

Theo could tell she was nervous when she reached the bottom and finally looked at him; she was still shorter than him by an inch or two even with heels on.

“You look great.” He said stepping forward until he was only a foot away. He could instantly see her react to him being close and she started to move towards him before she stopped herself. It seemed as if she was always pulling away around him and moving closer to Noah. But that was the point of this night, there was no Noah.

“I don’t know… I like my dark hair better. I feel too blonde.” She wrinkled her nose at the last word in distaste, still looking cute while doing it.

“Hey, I’ve dated some pretty smart blondes.”

Theo instantly regretted his words, not meaning to bring up past dates to the very beautiful girl in front of him. He could see a change come over her face as his words registered. He knew his dating history with the tabloids bothered her, hell it even bothered him.

Most of his “dates” were girls he was taking to taxis because they were too drunk to drive themselves home. He only knew them for the five minutes it took to take them out and get them in a cab. He would then get a months’ worth of gossip spread around about him and his “new girl” for just trying to be a gentleman. It was all about perception.

He didn’t even drink! After being around drunken idiots for most of his life he had no desire to join them.

“I’m sure you have dated a lot of blondes Theo, but luckily I’m not one of them.” Her harsh words hurt him, but he understood her current annoyance. He should have been more careful with her, he didn’t want to mess this up.

He wouldn’t let her see that she had gotten to him as he put on one of his signature lady killer smiles, “And why are you lucky you aren’t dating me? Most girls would kill to go out with me.”

Evie’s brown eyes held a mixture of hurt and anger as she glared at him her gaze unwavering, “Most girls haven’t had Theo Rogan run out on them after they received a package from their stalker, and most girls don’t want to date a guy who has been through what seems like the entire female population.”  

He decided to surprise her by agreeing with her rather than arguing, “You are completely right… assuming all those things are true then you are very lucky not to be dating me.”

“What do you mean assuming they are true? You most definitely walked out on me in the theater today and there have been more girls with you on the covers of magazines than I can count!” She was getting angry now, and wouldn’t you know it, she looked cute even when she was mad.

He smiled at how worked up Evie was getting because it meant that she did like him. If she didn’t she wouldn’t care so much about either of the things she was accusing him of.

“Well in the theater after I told you that I would help keep you safe I ran to go make sure that the people in charge of security tightened up our system and made it better so Hunt couldn’t get anywhere near you. That was the room you found me coming out of before dinner.” Theo felt bad not telling her the whole truth. He had been in the security room but he had done more than just supervise the updates. He didn’t want her to know his secret … not yet anyway.