Chapter Twenty-One

From The Depths Of Hell
                                                            [ManxBoy]

Chapter Twenty-One.

       “Is this really necessary?” I screamed as a creature called a ‘hellhound’ chased me through a maze. Lucifer perched on top of the arena and overlooked my suffering with a smirk on his face.

“He’s gaining” was all he said. I faced forward and pushed myself to the extreme limit. The hellhound had glowing yellow eyes which were fixed on their target- me.

His long ears were pushed back with the speed he was running at with his dagger-like tail whipping around at his hind legs.

Back when I was stood waiting for his majesty I heard a growl and then padding of feet. Seconds later I was being chased around by this beast who was licking its sharpened teeth with anticipation of taking a chomp out of me. Only after ten minutes of playing cat and mouse did Lucifer show up to watch this madness.

I was quickly snapped out of my thoughts when I heard a growl erupt from the hound behind me. I glanced in my father’s direction to see him looking bored. What was he waiting for?

I frowned realising what I was going to do. I stopped in my tracks and spun around, “Enough!” I yelled making the hound skid to a halt in front of me. It snarled arching its back preparing to pounce on me.

I frowned. “I said enough!” I growled and the hound froze in his assault. At first I wasn’t sure whether or not I should be running but I tried my hardest to show no fear. I remember Reuben once telling me that animals can sense fear.

“Rau-” I held my hand up to Lucifer which immediately silenced him. I continued to stare into the eyes of this hound in front of me who seemed to be weighing up his options.

Taking a risk I took a step closer to the beast. The Hellhound was very wary of how close I was to him but he didn’t seem as agitated as before. I brought my hand up very slowly to stroke him. He flashed me his extremely sharp teeth which held a warning.

I cocked my head and let out a tiny smile as I placed my hand on his face. The structure of his face was similar to a Tigers. The hound froze, feeling my fingers gently caress his fur. He sniffed me whilst keeping his eyes firmly on my own.

After a few snail-paced moments the hound nuzzled my hand. I brought my hand up slowly and walked to his side so I could look him over. He tilted his head my way to watch as I went. I scratched gently behind one of his long ears to see if he liked what other cats did. As soon as I did his eyes went big and kitten-like.

I heard a hum escape his open mouth which made me smile. “Raum” Lucifer called which made me look up to him finally. Instead of standing there alone he was surrounded by spectators who stood with wide eyes and droopy mouths.

I raised a brow at all of them, “What, you guys have never had a pet before?” I asked.

*

“You created soldiers with their own subconscious out of crows so it’s understandable that many animals take an instant liking to you- but a Hellhound.” Lucifer muttered to himself. I sighed; he had been pacing back and forth for about half an hour now as I sat by a fountain in the courtyard kicking a pebble from left to right.