The Guardian Vampire - 14

The Duefrey family lived about an hour away from where they were staying. Ethan arrived at their house in thirty minutes. It had been a lot of driving up hill, the woods around them getting thicker. At first they had seen many big houses until they saw none. Finally, Tara made out a large house surrounded by a large black fence. They were currently stopped in front of the fence, Ethan punching in a series of numbers into a security system. 

A voice asked for the names of those in the car and when confirmed, the gates creaked opened. Ethan drove forward and parked the car in front of a large mansion. Two people stood at the bottom of the steps to greet them. Tara and the others got out of the car and a man took the keys from Ethan to go and park the car. Tara stared at the mansion in awe. 

She was used to large houses, but this was beautiful. It resembled more of a palace than a mansion. The three story palace was a light beige color with a large tower in the middle and two smaller towers at each end. The roof and the tips of the towers were a dark blue. There weren't many windows and the few that were showing were very small. 

"Welcome, wizards and friends. Ah, and an Alden witch. Very nice to meet you. I'm Raquel Duefrey, but you guys can call me Rocky." A young girl with shoulder length brown hair said. She was young and very small in size. She looked to be about seventeen, but for all Tara knew she was probably well into her sixties. 

"Thank you, Rocky. You can call me Lara." Lara said with a pleasant smile. Ethan did the introductions and we all exchanged hello's. Rocky led us up the stairs and to the entrance of the palace. Tara paused as Rocky tugged on long black chain and the door opened. 

The inside of the house was just as beautiful as the outside. And very clean, Tara noticed. There were flowers on just about every open table. It made the house smell nice. 

"Come on, my brother is waiting for you guys in the library." Rocky said as she led them through a long hallway and finally through white double doors. 

Inside, the room was filled with books from floor to ceiling. The room was large, with chairs and couches. Those were also filled with books. 

A large black desk was positioned in the middle and sat on a chair in front of it was a young boy that glanced up and let out a gasp. Tara looked around, confused about why he had gasped. The boy was wearing a school uniform that made him look even younger. 

"Jason, this is the witches and wizards we agreed to help." Rocky said smoothly.

"She's the cursed one, isn't she? Beautiful vampire..." Jason said with a smile. Tara heard Jarith clear his throat and Jason's attention fell on Jarith.

"Oh. Hello, Jarith. Nice to see you again." Jason said. 

"Hello, Jason. I see you still have an obsession with vampire women." Jarith said with a light teasing tone. 

"Only the beautiful ones and they don't have to be women." He shot me a wink and turned back to his desk. 

Tara wondered why Nate was being so quiet and glanced behind her. Nate was completely still. She took a closer look and met Nate's eyes. He seemed to be struggling to say something, but couldn't.