Chapter 11

Author's Note: I know it's been a while since my last update, but I hope you like this chapter =)

The adventures of Princess Annie - Chapter 11

The visit of Marianne to the Royal palace was an event very much anticipated by everyone. Word had spread that the Prince had taken an interest in the young lady and thus, everyone who hadn't attended the Duchess' ball was eager to meet Marianne. Annie was also very eager to see her again. She had been delighted to see what a good heart she possessed and hoped they could become good friends in the future.

When Marianne arrived, the Royal family greeted her with warmth and she smiled politely. Annie knew she was feeling uncomfortable due to her shyness and the constant stares she was receiving. 

During dinner, she talked to Marianne about the Duchess. The young lady was very pleased by the topic and told her about her aunt and her new cousin. Elisa had been adapting to her new surroundings and had already begun her piano lessons. As it turns out, the child had a natural talent for music and her tutor was marveled by her quick progress. Annie smiled, happy to know some happiness was filling the palace of the Duchess. 

- What about the old library? Has work begun?

- Oh, yes your Highness! Elisa and I have been helping my aunt with that as well. Rooms are being constructed to receive the children. We think that in a month, they should be able to move in.

- So soon?

Marianne nodded.

- Yes, your Highness. I was surprised myself, but the building was in very good conditions so it's just a matter to adapt the layout to its new purpose. Of course, we are also going to decorate it, but that won't take too long and the children want to help too.

Annie nodded and smiled, pleased by the news. The King and Queen heard the conversation between the two young girls in silence. They knew Marianne was shy so they didn't want to intrude. Prince James was silent too, but he stared at Marianne, admiring her good heart and her pretty face. When Marianne caught him staring at her, she blushed, but didn't say anything to him.

When Annie went to bed, she finally allowed herself to think about John. What was he doing? She missed him a lot and she didn't really know what to do. Obviously she couldn't talk about it with anyone because she didn't know who to trust. She had only discussed the matter briefly with her governess because Madame Lockheart had seen her sadness. Her advice? To keep herself busy. Annie had done that, but it wasn't enough. Everything reminded her of John. Who else was there for her? Suddenly she thought about Henry. Surely a young man who had fought to save her life was trustworthy. She smiled at the idea of finally being able to express her feelings and have a real conversation about it. Maybe one day Marianne would be her confidante. "It would be nice to have a sister", she thought. "Maybe she is the one for James, though she seems to lack some fire in her veins. How would she handle being queen if she is so shy?". Well, it was up to James and Marianne to figure it out. In fact, she wasn't even sure if Marianne liked James the way he liked her.

...

A picnic was organized for the next day. Annie had made her best cupcakes and she was looking forward to it. She had invited Henry to the picnic, having heard that it was his day off. James was coming too of course. The King and Queen decided they would leave that day for the young people, and didn't join the group. 

While eating strawberries, Annie looked to her brother trying to make conversation with Marianne. The young lady smiled but seemed reluctant to keep the conversation going. Was it shyness or something else? Annie didn't know, but it was obvious that James was getting discouraged.