Chapter 8

The adventures of Princess Annie - Chapter 8

Annie awoke very early, even by her standards. Her face was still red due to her tears and her hands were shaking. She felt lost. What was she supposed to do now? She did her morning routine, and wore a dark dress. She hadn't packed anything black; she'd have to buy a proper mourning gown in town.

She opened the door to her room, only to find 2 guards waiting for her. She couldn't look at them without feeling shame. She felt a tear fall and wiped it quickly. She suddenly realized that going outside might not be safe. 

- Do you think I should wait in my room until Sunrise?

The guards were taken aback by her question. They were used to seeing the princess running outside without asking questions, running as if she needed to be out in order to breathe. However, the fact that she asked their opinion showed them that she was still afraid, and they didn't like that.

- Your highness, we will make sure you are safe, whether you go outside or stay in.

- I'm not afraid for my own safety, I just don't want you to get hurt because of my recklessness.

She was still looking at her feet, ashamed. The guards didn't know what to say.

- I'll be in my room. Let me know when I can go check on the injured. Has anyone wrote to my father?

- A letter was sent to him last night. If you want to check on your governess, you may do so. All the injured people are in this inn. The doctor's house is too small, you see. We will accompany you. Your Highness, with all due respect, please don't feel guilty. Security aspects were arranged before our departure.

Annie nodded but she wasn't convinced, so she just started walking.

....

She went first to see John, the one with the most severe injuries. The doctor was at his bedside and bowed when he saw the Princess at the door. He explained John's condition: he had a little of fever, but the doctor assured her that it was to be expected and that he surely make a full recovery. Annie nodded and sat next to John.

- John, I'm sorry for endangering your life. I would have never forgiven myself if you had died. I'm sorry that you had to see your friends die, and I promise to be wiser in the future.

She took his hand and passed some more energy to him. She felt somewhat weaker, but she didn't care. He seemed to be regaining consciousness because his eyes opened slightly.

- Annie, I mean your Highness! What happened? Are you injured?

- No, John. I'm perfectly fine physically. But as I was saying, I'm very sorry for what happened to you and to the others.

- You are safe. That's good. I didn't know. Annie is safe.

He closed his eyes and fell asleep.

Annie stood up and went to see Henry. He had cuts and bruises, but his most sever injury was the hit to the head. The doctor told Annie that he had regained consciousness a couple of hours after his arrival and though he didn't remember the end of the battle or how he got injured, he remembered everything else just fine. While they were talking, Henry opened his eyes.

- Henry, I'm sorry for interrupting your sleep. I just wanted to see how you were.

- Princess, you needn't have come, but I thank you for your concern. You don't have to worry, though, I'm perfectly fine.

- I'm glad you are fine, Henry. Thank you for defending me with so much courage. 

- I was only doing my duty.