A Whispered Kiss

"Hey retard why don't you talk for once?" Jack taunted. 

Figures it would be a football jock insulting the only one in class who doesn't speak. More like can't speak. Ever since the third grade when everyone found out I can't talk right, I've been taunted, bullied, and been avoided like a plague.

"Retard I'm talking to you!" 

I kept ignoring him and read my book until the bell signaling the end of class. Quickly I gathered my things and walked to my next class, Science. The only people who don't ignore me, only see me with sympathetic eyes. Looking at the clock I dread knowing I still have to endure four more hours until I can go home. 

My last class was my favorite, English. I loved writing poems and reading. It was probably the only class that the teacher actually liked having me in their class and not just tolerating me because of their job.

"Okay class today we are writing a poem. Any kind, school appropriate, and must be one page long. Nothing more, nothing less. Go." Mrs. Williams announced.

Before I knew it, the bell rang, I had a two paged poem, and ready to turn in.

Sorry I wrote more than what we were suppose to, I wrote on a separate piece of paper and handed it to her. 

"It's alright. Don't tell anyone but you are my favorite student. you have great potential to be an poet. Now go, I think I see your mom outside."

I waved goodbye and ran outside. Before getting to the door to go outside, I wasn't looking and slammed into somebody, knocking me over.

"I'm sorry. I didn't see where I was going." 

I gathered my stuff and stood up. I just mouthed "sorry" to him and walked off.

"Wait! I'm new and my name's Daniel. What's your name?"

I got a pen and paper then wrote "Sophia" and gave it to him.

"Cool. So are you going to talk or what?"

I shook my head no and wrote on a piece of paper, "I can't".

He read it then looked at me with pity. I was angered and stormed away.

"Wait!" he called out.

Ignoring him, I kept walking outside.

Later that day I cried myself to sleep knowing that most people will only see me with pity or disgust.