Chapter 18 : Intruders

Jacob's POV

Because of training in the crack of dawn till late afternoon I never get to see Isabelle as much. since the word 'war' has been lingering around the castle because of Francesco we've been ordered to recruit more boys and men and train twice as hard than we used to.

I wonder how she's taking it all in.

she sent me a word in the morning to keep an eye on her sister, why me? she normally would ask Richard...  strange.

she's been in a daze these days, barely in the real world. always thinking. I always hear her screaming in the middle of the night and Richard, mostly me, would dash into her room to wake her up. I knew she didn't want to be alone. she never told me she wanted to be alone, but I felt that she wanted me to stay every night. one night she woke up, with a blood curdling scream, drenched in sweat, eyes shot wide open.

''Sabbie what is it?"  . ''i...i...I I saw....I saw a man, he.. he wanted to kill me... a light and... a beast... I saw a beast...it...I'' 

she was lost for words after that, she couldn't figure out what she dreamt of, and I surely couldn't either.  she dreams of the same thing every night and wakes up at the same time, reacts the same way. after a while she chose not to speak of her terrible nightly routine. I can see it from her face that she sees much more than she's ever told me, maybe she even knows what it means but she doesn't want to speak of it.

What is she seeing every night?

I dared not to pry so much but I really am worried about her, the crown is taking a toll on her, little by little, eating her up.

It's afternoon already, I should go see her, see how she's doing. I know she needs me, though she never says she does. theres something about her.

I dismissed my men and started to make my way into the castle, stealthily towards her chamber, perhaps even wait for her.

" Captain general!! Captain wait!!"  one of my men caught up to me. His face looks too worried as if he's carrying an urgent message, guess this can't wait. So much for seeing Isabelle

"what is it?" the man was catching his breathe and was trying hard to speak to me

"the...the ship... there's been...int..intruders"

Intruders?

"what do you mean?''

"Captain there were two men that was unidentified, and-"

"why didn't you all take care of it? I've already said what has to be done at cases like this."

" yes but captain we couldn't do anything, they disappeared, possibly on another ship."

"did they harm anyone?''

"no...but-"

"Then I don't think we have anything to make a case about do we?"

"captain the queen Is at the harbor right this moment, we fear those two men could be assassins perhaps?"

the minute he said the queen I froze, so thats where she's at. the harbor. Why would she go to the harbor? what possible business does she have there. The thought of her in danger is already too much to bear.

"Gather the troops and head to the harbor"

I didn't want to waste anymore time. I am her personal guard after all.

"Call Richard, he's coming too"

before we even knew it we were already riding off to the harbor, making sure we don't alarm the people or make a big scene of it all, Isabelle wouldn't want that.

"Do you know who exactly these men are?" Richard asked me as he was riding on his horse next to me in the front. "my men couldn't figure out their identities, they weren't wearing any sigil either"

"Dont you think this Is rather odd?"

"How so?''

"think Jacob"  what the hell is this old man talking about? Isabelle could be in danger right now and he's not even alarmed. is he in on this? does he know something? but this is Richard. he would never do anything to hurt anyone in the royal family.

I coud see men gathered around close to the Boddinham ship. As if they were surrounding something. what? what is going on?

I can hear voices, unclear of what they're saying since they're all talking at the same time, but what? what are they saying?

"ISABELLE!!!?" I yelled out for her as I pushed through the men, I pushed through the crowding men hoping to find her, safe.

As I pushed past them all I see her, in the middle. untouched, unharmed, nothing but a blank expression on her face, staring at nothing.

''ISABELLE" her blank expression broke. she walked up to me as fast as she could. does she even know of the unidentified men? what happened here? she looks....fine.

"I'm glad you're here, I'm just about to leave." I've never been so confused, it seems as if I got nothing to worry about but I feel as if I do.

"are you okay? were you alone?" . "no Cerylia was with me but she had to go, and yes I am...you seem worried, whats wrong?"

"I heard about two men that wa-"

"lets leave first" she interrupted me as if everything was fine. she got inside the royal litter and everyone followed her.. and everyone that was around her continued to get on with their day.

I don't know what I was expecting but something isn't right..