Chapter 3

Sitting in Beth’s room wrapped up in a blanket and in my pajamas was a perfect end to the day. We were watching a movie and drinking tea. It was nice. “So you never told me why those girls hated you,” I said breaking the silence. She turned down the volume on her television before turning to face me. “You really want the story?” I nodded and she sighed.

                “Okay. Well those girls are the so called sluts of the year. Allie, Kim, and Alexa. If you are hot and popular they will throw themselves at you. If you are ugly and geeky they won’t give you the time of day. Well this summer they all threw themselves at my brother and his friends. Allie had taken a special interest Jack and he turned her down. No one turns Allie down and she didn’t take it that well. Ever since then she has made it her mission in life to hate me because I am 1. His sister and 2. Friends with his friends. So I hate to break it to you El but they are going to hate you too because as much as it grosses me out Jack and Harry and all their friends think you are hot. So just prepare yourself.” She told me as I sat and listened.

                “I don’t care about the hate. Been there done that, but what makes you think that they think I am hot?” I asked genuinely wondering why. She looked at me with an amused look on her face. “You’re joking right?” she asked me as I just gave her a blank expression. “Wow okay. Well I am not going to lie, you are hot. And you are American. It’s like a win-win; foreign and attractive. How could they not like you?”  she laughed jumping onto her bed. Well that’s a confidence boost.

                “Come on lets go to bed,” Beth mumbled as she lifted up the covers for me to get under. “Hey Beth?” I whispered wondering if she was still up. “What?” she whined moving around the bed. “Thanks for being nice,” I whispered.

                “Whatever just go to bed.”

_________________________________________

                “Mom I’m home!” I yelled walking through the door. It was already 5 in the afternoon and I knew I had to leave Beth’s. “Hello?” I yelled again walking into the kitchen. I looked around and spotted a note on the island.

Payton, Anne is having a party at her house right next door. Get dressed and meet us over there. Look nice! Love mom

                Okay. Let’s get ready then. I plugged in my iPod and blasted it. I got into the shower and did my hair; the usual straighten job. I pulled on a pair of skinny jeans and a lace tank top. I threw on my converse and some light makeup just to make a good impression.

                Walking out of the bathroom my favorite song was playing. I danced around and sang at the top of my lungs making a fool of myself. Just as the song ended I heard someone knock on the door. I turned around and was greeted by Harry from Beth’s house.

                “Why are you in my house?” I asked skeptically as I walked towards him. “I was bored and I figured you would make a good show,” he winked at me as he stood still in the doorway. “Just kidding. I was sent over to get you.”

                “What?” I asked laughing. “Your mom was wondering where you were and my mom told me to come check to see if you were here,” he explained following me down the stairs and through the house. I turned around to face him causing him to crash into me…again. We both hit the floor with a thud and burst into fits of laughter. “Oh my god. You need to stop doing that,” I laughed trying to catch my breath.

                “I’m sorry,” he said pulling me off the ground. Brushing myself off, I led the way to the party being held next door.  I stopped at the door because I was nervous. Harry must’ve known because he took my hand and led me through his house and into the back. Having his hand intertwined with mine felt nice. There was something so comforting about it. “Harry! Dude let’s go!” someone yelled at Harry. He turned around and gave me a weak smile. “Sorry, but I have to go,” he whispered leaning down and giving me a kiss on the cheek. “I’m sorry about running into you,” he said walking away.

                Great left alone at a party filled with people I don’t know. I took off in one direction hoping to find my mom or at least someone I recognized. After searching for a good 10 minutes I did find someone I knew. Only it was Allie, Kim, and Alexa all giving me death stares. Great, not only did Harry ditch me, but now I have to deal with them here. Where is Mrs. Behan the nice secretary when you need her.