Chapter 9: Hesitations

©Sold! To the Vampire Lord| Ariel Carrera

|CALVIN|

Winchester castle,
Europe

October 2014

"What do these stupid lords want now?!" I bellowed as Domovov's messenger trembled from the corner of my study. My hands are shaking on the mahogany desk that is at least a hundred years old. It was father's study. I would never change anything from here.

The room is as large as my room here in the palace but the study is located at the western tower of the castle so there's a towering height with it. The ceiling is high up with wooden beams for support. The study is exquisite because the walls are covered with shelves filled with ancient books that father has collected. The floor is made of fine wood that didn't creak considering its age. Meanwhile, my desk is covered with letters, parchments, books and the usual complaint from the humans about their property considering they are living on my lands.

"T-The annual ball, my lord," the man, from his late thirties or so, with balding head and sweat covered suit stammered upon answering ", the lords request to hold it here in this castle, my lord."

"And what the fúck is wrong with Domovov's?! I heard that it's his turn to host this year's annual ball?!" I roared loudly that I could feel the walls rattle. The man shrank back to the shadows as quickly as possible.

"Master Domovov said that his wife is cross with him and is 'beating him the hell up' as his exact words."

That dampened my anger for a bit. Domovov's wife is the only one who could 'beat him the hell up' as the man said. I growled at the thought of the annual ball. What is the stupid vampire lord thinking?! It's only a few weeks left for preparation!

Can I do this? Of course I can! I'm the lord of Winchester! Most feared vampire to ever walk earth!

But if the annual ball is to be held here, I'd have to invite that douchebag lord of Wellington! If I skip him, there would be questions raised and I wouldn't like to entertain such questions.

The lord of Wellington and I... we go a long way back.

A very long way back.

"Fine. Tell Domovov Lord Calvin Campbell of Winchester agrees. If I see him here next week he's going to receive a good whipping from me," I said writing on a few papers about some farmers being cheated out of their lands. They are cheated? They haven't seen cheated yet until I drain their households dry.

He gulped and nodded. Taking his leave, he bowed low once again to me and to Gustav who opened the door for him. He bowed low at Gustav as my general closed the door behind him. I could hear the messenger's sigh of relief as he strolled down the corridor.

"Why," I said still scribbling on my paper, not looking up at him. "Does everyone think that I'd be killing them immediately? "

"You are intimidating, my lord," Gustav said grinning at me as I looked up at him with an amused eexpression. "May I remind you of your Crusades a few decades ago, my lord?"

I snorted as I sealed the paper with wax and stamped my family ring in it forming the Campbell logo. "What has changed, Gustav, I continue to wonder. It seems just like yesterday I was out in a bloodlust, destroying everything in my wake; now I feel like an old oaf sitting on the study table reading letters."

I could see my general's wariness on the subject matter and rolled my eyes at him as I threw the letter with the rest of the papers on my left. Gustav cleared his throat and hesitated a bit before answering.