Chapter Six: Skating in a Winter Wonderland

Hello! Currently loving the 4-day Memorial Day weekend whoohoo and then only like 2 weeks of school and then exams. Almost there! My sister graduated this Thursday...pretty crazy, I remember when she just started high school. I'm gonna miss her so much :/ But yeah, hope you like this update - I hope I can upload again soon (maybe Monday question mark??) because for once I know what to write in the next chapter haha. Anyway, please COMMENT! :) It means so much to me when you let me know what you think about what's happening. It really helps me to write and take things into consideration for the story.

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Six

Skating in a Winter Wonderland

When I opened my eyes the next morning, I had no idea where I was. My head lay on the armrest of a couch in an unfamiliar, empty room, and it took me a solid minute of just attempting to think to figure out that I was still at Patrick’s place.

And Zach was gone.

Man, I hated that feeling.

With a little flutter of panic in my stomach, I swung my legs over the side of the couch, scrabbling underneath it a moment to locate my glasses. Pushing them onto my nose, I took the blanket from the couch and wrapped it around my shoulders, shivering slightly in the cool air as I looked around the room. After a moment, I realized I could hear voices from the kitchen. Using some spy tactics, I leaned against the wall just outside to listen.

“You really think you can do this?”

“Yeah, I do. We go back a long way, Ryan. We’ve worked together.”

“But Jack doesn’t –”

“Not everyone works alone all the time. I know Jack, okay?”

I heard Patrick sigh. “Maybe you’re right, but I’m not too sure about this. Hang on just a moment,” as Zach made a noise of irritation. “Maybe we better let Nat join us first. Come on in here, Nat,” he called, and I jumped.

“How did you know I was there?” I asked disappointedly, coming into the kitchen to see Patrick grinning at me from next to the toaster. Zach stood next to the kitchen table with his hands wrapped around a mug of coffee, still dressed in those dark grey sweatpants and the sweatshirt Patrick had given him and looking displeased.

“Spy, honey.” Patrick held up a bag of bagels. “Want one?”

Nodding, I took a cup sitting on the table and helped myself to the jug of orange juice. I could feel Zach’s eyes on me; hopefully we wouldn’t go back to that awful awkward stage after last night. I took the bagel Patrick handed me and began spreading cream cheese across it, seating myself at the table.

“So what were you guys talking about?”

Zach glanced at Patrick. “Just our plans.”

“Who’s Jack?” I asked boldly. I mean, heck, they knew I’d been eavesdropping; there was no use pretending otherwise. “Is he the hacker guy you were talking about?”

Patrick’s eyebrows jumped; he looked almost amused. “Yeah, he is,” he said slowly, looking at Zach, who shrugged. “I guess that was kinda obvious, huh?”

“Yeah.” I bit into my bagel proudly. “It was easy to figure out.”

“Right, well…” Zach looked down at his coffee. “Maybe you’ll agree with me, Nat. I think we should go find Jack and talk to – well – him.” A small smile touched his lips. “I’ve known him for years, but Ryan thinks I’m crazy.”