Chapter 6

Chapter 6

          After walking for five more miles I see a city in the distance. I signal for my troops to stop. Looking around I see that there is no place for us to hide ourselves; we are in full view of their awaiting force.

          I hear the sky above us growl and boom. I look up only to see a flash in the dark clouds that surround us.

"What now?" asks Tara quietly.

"Now, we fight." I answer back.

          I look up at Dustin and he nods his head to me, a sad smile on his face. I can see his eyes sending me a message. "Be careful" they said. I nod back to him and turn towards my troop.

"Alright, this is it." I yell looking at each and every one of them. "Don't show the fear in your eyes, don't show them your afraid," I say pointing towards the city. "Fight with all the strength and courage you can muster and I promise you we will win. Fight with your heart and with a passion. That, no one can take from you. They may take your life or the life of your friend's but they will never take our hope and eventually our victory!" I yell thrusting my fist in the air.

          They all holler back, pumping their fists in the air.

"Are victory is there," I yell pointing to the city again, "Now let's go get it!"

          I see in all of their eyes a new hope and determination that starts a fire within me. I draw my sword and raise it to the sky. Everyone follows my lead, taking out his or her spears, axes, swords, and bows and arrows.

          I turn back towards the city and we begin our march. The sky continues to boom above us until I hear droplets of water clinking against metal. I feel the cold chill of the rain as it hits my entire body. I squint through the rain and see a hoard of people approaching.

"This is it," I think to myself. "My first battle, let's hope it's not my last."

          I put my sword away and draw my bow, slowly pulling an arrow from its holder. I nock it into place and hold it down, my fingers on the string ready to quickly fire if necessary.

          The closer we get to the approaching mob, the faster my heartbeats. I can feel the heat of Tara and Dustin's bodies rubbing against mine and we march side by side towards the opposing army. I take a few deep cleansing-breaths, which may be my last. I ignore the rain that continues to pour down on us and take aim.

"Shooters ready!" I yell.

          I can see out of the corner of my eyes, people drawing their bows and taking aim. I wait until the troops get closer before giving the order.

"Fire!" I yell.

          I send my arrow flying and watch it as it pierces a boy in the stomach. He slowly falls to his knees, blood flowing down his stomach onto the ground, creating a pool. I watch as my troops' arrows fly, hitting many of the opposing troops. I watch as they fall to the floor some dead instantly, others groaning in pain.

          The other side begins shooting at us and I dodge everyone that comes my way. I can see my friends, my teammates falling next to me and behind me.

"Charge!" I yell, motioning with my hand.

          I quickly put my bow back on my back, take out my sword, and run towards them dodging daggers and spears as they come flying at me. It is hard to maneuver in the wet, muddy ground but I somehow manage to dodge by sliding on the mud.