Chapter 20

Chapter 20

“Gwen?!  Gwen, please wake up.”

            I can hear my father, but that’s not possible.  I died, he can’t be dead too.

“Please open your eyes Gwenie,” I hear my little brother cry.

            I can hear my brother sniffling right next to me.  I can feel the pressure of someone holding my hand.  I use all my might and squeeze my hand around my brothers.

“Gwen?” he asks.

            I force my eyes open and I am hit with an intense light.  I use my other arm and shield my eyes.  A sharp pain shoots through my arm and I wince, lowering it back down.  Slowly my eyes start to adjust and I see my brother and father standing over me.

            I look around and realize I am back home, in my bed.

“How-how did I get here?” I whisper.

            My father shakes his head.

“That’s not important Gwen, the important thing is that you’re alive.”

“What happened?” I ask.

            I try to sit up but my whole body is sore.

“You-you went into the warehouse,” I heard a new voice say. 

            I look behind my father and see Dustin, staring at me.

“When I finally woke up I ran in after you.  Everyone was dead and when I found you, you were unconscious on the ground.  You were bleeding so bad I-I thought you were going to die.  You had multiple arrows in your sides and cuts almost everywhere.”

“But how did we get back here so quickly?” I ask, still confused.

            A small smirk appears on his face.

“I might have stolen a hover car…” he grins.

“A what?” I ask.

“It’s like a huge machine type thing that hovers above the ground and goes insanely fast.  It got us from Illium back here in less then an hour.”

“Oh...” I say, barely audible.

            I slowly try to get up, but pain spreads throughout my whole body and I wince.  This causes everyone to crowd around me in worry.

“I'm fine,” I say motioning for them to back away a little.

            I lift up the sheet from my bed to look at my body.  There is a bandage wrapped around my arm that blood is still seeping through.  My stomach is also wrapped in bandages as well as my shoulders.  I softly run my fingers across the bandages and grimacing in pain.

“What happened here,” I ask, continuing to run my fingers along the bandages.

“You were shot with arrows in your stomach and sides,” my father says pointing to the places he was talking about.

“And these?” I ask pointing to my shoulder and arm.

“You were stabbed in the shoulder with a sword and a dagger was lodged in your arm,” my father says weakly.

“H-how did I not die from these injuries?  A normal person would have!” I yell, anger for some strange reason overtaking me.

“I-I will tell you later” my father whispers.