Chapter 5

Chapter 5

          I wake up to the force of someone squishing into my side. I slowly open my eyes and see that in their sleep Dustin and Tara completely sandwiched me in the middle of both of them. I roll my eyes and quietly remove myself from the middle.  

          I stretch out my legs and take a look around. Everyone else was still asleep but I can faintly see Kane sitting on a tree stump squinting at me. I match his gaze for a few minutes before grabbing my bow and arrows and heading off into the woods.

          I take a deep breath and inhale the sweet scent of the woods that I've come to love so much. I close my eyes and listen to the birds sing all around me. I hum along with their melody as I search for food. The leaves crunch under my feet as I walk deeper into the woods.

          Up on a tree branch I spot a decent sized bird. Taking out an arrow from my holder and clicking it into place I raise my bow to my target. As the bird turns its head towards me I fire. My arrow pierces its target and the bird falls to the floor.

          I run over and scoop it up, carrying it by its claws. Before I leave I place my hand on the bark of a tree and run my fingers down it. This may be the last time I see woods, so I want to enjoy every minute. I take a pile of leaves in my hand and crunch them into little pieces, letting the air take them away. I take one last deep breath of the air in the woods before going back to camp.

          Stepping out of the woods I see that Tara and Dustin have finally woken up along with the rest of the camp.

"Oh Gwen, there you are," Tara sighs, eyes dropping to the bird in my hand. "I see you got yourself breakfast," she smiles.

          I nod my head and collect sticks and leaves for a fire. I set up the sticks in a circular formation and pile the leaves on top. Before I set the fire, I strip the bird of its feathers and skin.

"Do you have any food Tara?"

"Yeah, I have some in my pack."

"Dustin?" I offer.

"No thanks I'm fine."

          I start my fire and slide a stick through the bird, roasting it over the fire. Once it's cooked perfectly I enjoy my food.

          When I am completely full I wrap the rest up in a towel I took from home and place it gently in my bag for later.

"We should probably get going," I say to Tara.

          She nods her head and walks around telling everyone to gather around me. When everyone is assembled I begin.

"Now before we start walking again I just wanted to say that these are probably going to be the last woods we see for a few days so if you need to hunt for food tell me now so we can wait while you hunt."

          When no one speaks I continue.

"It will probably take only a few hours to get out of these woods and a few more to reach the battlefield. So I want everyone to be ready when we leave the woods."

          I look to Tara to see if she has anything she needs to add. She smiles and bows her head to me quickly. I smile back and start walking through the woods. Tara and Dustin match their pace with mine as we all walk side my side.

"So how did you sleep?" Dustin asks, trying to start a conversation.

"Fine," I reply.

"Why can't you just talk to me? It won't kill you to make another friend."