Room 349

~MAI'S POV~

I'm crying, but I'm not sure why exactly. Fear is burning in me like a fire that's poisoning me. Red hot tears pour down my cheeks as I sob. I can feel Naru watching me, but I don't care, I'm terrified.

An explosive smashing sound shakes the room, but I don't look up. Rushed and breathless a familiar masculine voice questions, "Where's Mai? Is she alright? Did he call you, too, John?" The voice is familiar, but misplaced, like it shouldn't be here.

All eyes are on me and I close my mouth tight. Silent tears streak my cheeks, but I don't let them hear me in my retched brokenness. Naru quietly mutters, "Mai is right there, ask her yourself, and no, I didn't call John." He sounds distorted and distant, if I didn't know better I might mistake his aloofness as worry.

Arms wrap tightly around me, squeezing my fragile, already bruised and cut body. My limbs are heavy as lead and my eyes stop crying. The man smells like incense and metal, a peculiar mixture. He whispers, "I was so worried when he called Mai, I thought that that thing had seriously injured you."

"Monk," I murmur immediately recognizing the voice. His arms tighten around my stiff body and I hear him breathe me in. I haven't seen Monk since Naru left, we kept in touch, even went out a few times, but eventually the relationship died.

He pushes me away from him so he can see my face. It's been two years since I've seen him. His friendly brown eyes aren't smiling characteristically, no fear overshadows it. He wraps me in his arms again and sighs, "Mai."

Behind him I can see Naru bristle. His midnight blue eyes narrowed suspiciously. But, when he speaks he's concise and unfeeling like always, "So, now that we have Monk and John here, we can begin the exorcisms. Monk, I'd like you to start in Mai's room, John in the abandoned office in the North end of the building, I believe it's number 349."

For some reason 349 sounds eerily familiar. "I'll come with you, John." I offer quickly, not really giving him a choice. Naru's eyebrows shoot up and John opens his mouth, but abruptly closes it.

Monk releases me and just looks at me as if memorizing something. His hand slides into mine and gives it a reassuring squeeze, "I need to talk to you," he whispers. I lean into him and recognize the smell I memorized so long ago.

Reluctantly, I stand up and smile softly at Monk before turning at John. His gold hair tickles his ears and his blue eyes smile at me. Quickly I take his hand and say, "I'll help you find your way." Without stopping I drag John out the door behind me.

"How long have you been going to school here?" He asks.

I smile and glance back turning as if dancing. Releasing his hand I spin back forward and smile even wider. I can't remember the last time I saw John. Somehow I'm wearing a dark blue skirt and a white button-down, neither of which I remember putting on. When I speak it's confident, "About a year and a half."

The hallways smell like perfume, metal, and old pizza. Pale yellow paint is fading on the wall. Groups of two or three students amble past us.

I turn and stare at the door with the number 349. My hands shake an inch away from the doorknob. "Are you ready for this?" I ask.

"