Chapter 4: More Than Nakama

[Sasuke]

After recovering from my panic attacks, I decide to take a walk around Konoha. Nostalgic memories fill my mind from many years ago. I disdain all of these emotions that wash over me. I shove my hands in my pockets and keep my head down. Hopefully no one will notice me.

"Sasuke-kun?" A female voice rings in my ear.

Dammit...

I turn and see Ino looking at me with cheerful, bright eyes. I nod curtly. "Ino."

She flashes a genuine smile. "You seem to be in a hurry. Is something going on?"

I resist the urge to groan at the small talk I must make. "I'm not in a hurry...I'm just taking a walk."

She nods and nervously puts her long blonde hair behind her ear. "M-may I join you? I have nothing planned for today."

I'm tempted to say no, but I'm not in the mood to be a total asshole today; I'm too tired for that. I shrug nonchalantly. "Sure, I guess."

So we walk beside each other in a somewhat awkward silence.

"How's the, um, flower business?" I ask awkwardly.

"It's fine," she answers, "although I'd rather be doing work for Tsunade-sama."

I chuckle. "I heard she's a real pain in the ass."

"Who said that?" she frowns.

I just look at her.

"Oh, let me guess," she says, "Naruto said that?"

I nod. "Yeah. I've had the...pleasure of meeting with her a few times."

She giggles. "She can be a bit--oh, what's a nice way to say it?--intense."

I roll my eyes and chuckle. "So I've heard."

She looks around nervously then makes eye contact. "Um, I know you don't like sentiment and all, but, I'm more than happy that you're back."

I retrain myself from sighing in disgust, though I do appreciate her comment. "Arigato, Ino. That's...that's kind of you."

She nods and blushes. "You're more than nakama, you know. You're practically family, and I'm not the only one who thinks so."

I nod. "I see..."

"It, uh, it wasn't the same here without you."

This time, it's my turn to blush. "Really?"

She nods. "Sai was a total ass and something felt off about him. Team 7 was a mess for a while and couldn't go on missions--" She stops and swallows, her expression becomes sad.

I wait for her to continue.

A few tears escape her eyes. "Why didn't you come back?"

She looks at me with sadness written all over her face. I look away, too pained to look at her. Despite everything I did, I still care about my nakama here in Konoha. When I was away, I constantly thought about everyone: Sakura, Ino, Choji, Shikamaru, Kiba, Hinata, Shino, Lee, Neji, Tenten, and Naruto. I can't imagine how much pain I caused them, especially Ino and Sakura; I know how they felt--uh, feel--about me.

I sigh heavily, unable to find the right words. "I was blinded by revenge and anger." I pause. "I'm sorry for all the pain I've caused you."

She sniffs and looks at the ground.

Since I feel guilty enough as it is, I wipe the tears from her eyes. "Please stop crying, Ino. You're making me feel worse."

She looks up at me. "You're being so friendly...why?"

My cheeks heat up. "We are nakama, right?"

She nods. "Yeah."

I put an arm around her, hoping it will soothe her. "Or, as you say, 'more than nakama.' Am I right?"

She blushes and rests her head on my chest. "More than nakama."

~•~•~

After finally getting Ino to stop crying, we go to a restaurant for lunch. As I recall, Team 10 quite enjoys this place. I also know that their sensei, Asuma, died a while ago, and he took them here often. I remember seeing them here a few times, always laughing and smiling. Isn't it painful for her to be here?

"Thanks for lunch," I say, "this is sweet of you."

She blushes. "It's nothing, really."

"Ino?" a voice from my left says.

We turn and see Choji and Shikamaru standing next to us. Shimakaru looks less than pleased that I'm here, even though he always looks annoyed no matter what. I know that he never liked me, but I couldn't care less. I'm aware of his high IQ and, therefore, respect him despite his dislike for me.

"May we join you?" Choji asks happily.

I nod and scoot over. Shikamaru sits next to Ino and Choji sits next to me.

"I didn't realize you were on a date, Ino." Shimakaru says bluntly with a hint of annoyance.

Ino's cheeks turn pink. "Oh, this isn't a date."

Choji chuckles and munches on some chips.

I roll my eyes in disgust. "We're here as friends." I say.

Shikamaru looks at me and shrugs. "Whatever. There was no food at home, and cooking is troublesome...so Choji and I came here..."

I can hear the pain in his voice. Perhaps he's reminded of the times Asuma took them here.

A waitress comes and takes Shikamaru's and Choji's orders.

"So, Sasuke," Choji says, "what have you been up to lately?"

I swallow and tense up, not wanting to reveal my condition of random panic attacks. "N-not much, really. Just routine stuff for Hokage-sama."

Choji nods. "Sounds brutal."

I fake a laugh. "Yeah, it is."

While Choji and I talk, I notice Shikamaru and Ino talking in rather heated manner. Are they together or something? I then realize how little space there is between me and Choji. My heart rate increases and I feel sweat slide down my neck. Aw shit, I think, not again. I can't have another panic attack here! They would think I was even more mentally unstable than I already am.

Ino looks at me and frowns. "Sasuke, are you alright?"

Everyone is looking at me, which doesn't help.

I swallow and clench my fists beneath the table. "I'm fine."

Shikamaru takes out a cigarette and lights it, putting it in his mouth. He blows out a puff of smoke. "Let's not have a bothersome discussion about Sasuke's well-being. Let the man be, Ino."

I silently thank Shikamaru.

She is about to protest but he puts a hand on hers and gives her a stern look. She sighs and nods, taking a sip of her drink.

Choji awkwardly chews a chip that crunches rather loudly. He clears his throat. "Anyways, Ino, how's your flower shop?"

"It's fine." she answers curtly.

Shikamaru looks at me. "Don't get too friendly with her, got it?" His tone is icy.

"Wouldn't dream of it," I say.

He clearly cares for her, otherwise he wouldn't be so overprotective. She's "more than nakama" to him, I can tell. Their team was always close, so I figured that a couple would arise from their team eventually. So what does that make me to everyone else?