Chapter 10: Reality Check

[Kiba]

It's been three days since I've seen Mom. I broke down and almost attacked some nurse guy who was just doing his job. I haven't eaten or slept much because of the reality of my mom's condition; that and because Hana has had nightmares about Mom--about me that cause her to wake up screaming and crying. I, however, find myself angry and rather sad all the time, though not at the same time. I sometimes feel like I'm losing my sanity. I've been avoiding my friends and even got mad at Naruto. I'm such an ass...

"Kiba?"

I look up and see Hana standing in my doorway. "What is it, Nee-chan?"

She shrugs and sits next to me on the bed. "It's been three days..."

I nod absentmindedly. I don't want to talk about Mom anymore; it's too painful. "It has."

She lays her head on my shoulder. "The hospital called."

Shit... "And?"

"They...they asked if we wanted to...take Mom off life support."

My blood boils at the thought. How could they ask that?! But I realize that it was only a matter of time before this situation came up. "What...what did you say?"

She sighs. "I said that we'd get back to them...They want an answer within the next two-ish weeks."

I nod. I don't want to take my mom off life support, because then it would be like they were killing her--like I let them kill her. But, that's the sad reality, isn't it? There's no way Mom would be back to her old self if/when she woke up--it's the best and only option.

"I guess we'll have to say yes." I say after a few moments of silence.

She nods and I feel something wet fall on my shirt. Dammit, she's crying--I hate it when she cries.

"Please, Nee-chan, don't cry. It hurts me when you cry," I plead. My own eyes begin to well up with tears as well (don't laugh).

She sniffs. "Yeah, I know...I'm sorry, I just can't help it."

I kiss the top of her head. "I know, I know. It's ok, just don't cry anymore."

She takes my hand in hers, which is trembling slightly. I give her hand a reassuring squeeze. I wish there was something I could do to make her feel better...The familiar pang of sadness hits me like a fist. I let a few tears fall down my cheeks, but I quickly wipe them away. I've cried enough over Mom--she wouldn't want me to still be crying.

"How are you holding up?" I ask, changing the subject in order to distract Hana.

"Ok, I guess..." she replies. "What about you?"

I sigh. "I've been better."

"Maybe you should spend some time with Hinata-chan."

I frown. "Why?"

"She is your girlfriend," she says like it's obvious (which it is, I know). "I'm sure she misses you."

It's true, I haven't seen her in three days--the three days that I haven't seen Mom. I know she won't be mad, but, I usually don't randomly stop seeing her like this.

"But, what about you? Are you gonna be ok?" I ask.

"I'll manage." she says.

I sigh, not wanting to leave her alone. Hana and I are really close, and, I would hate it if something happened to her and I wasn't there. However, I do want to see Hinata. Maybe talking to her will take my mind off Mom.