Chapter 3: Confidence Boost

[Naruto]

Leaving Sasuke was extremely difficult for me, but I have an assignment to do from Tsunade herself, so I can't not do it. I could tell that Sasuke wasn't going to have an easy day. I keep telling him that he needs to get some medication for his attacks, but he insists he can "self-medicate" and get by on his own. However, I've noticed that his attacks have gotten worse and are even more unpredictable than usual; I fear for him sometimes.

"Naruto?" Comes a voice from my left.

I turn and see Sakura-chan. She's wearing a short black skirt and a mint green shirt that accentuates her chest, which makes me drool. "Oh, hey, Sakura-chan."

She smiles and hugs me. "How are you? I don't see you around much."

Ever since Sasuke and I came back from the war, Tsunade worked us like dogs. She'd assign us two to three missions per week, which gave us little time for recreation and rest. I wanted to see Sakura-chan and everyone else, but I was always so tired. I bet she misses us.

"I, uh, I'm ok. Gomen for not coming to see you sooner." I say, smiling sheepishly.

"Oh, it's fine." She pauses. "Is Tsunade-sama still working you really hard?"

I chuckle. "No, thank goodness. My new mission is taking place right here in Konoha."

She smiles. "Is that where you're headed? To your mission?"

"Yup. Speaking of going places, where are you going dressed like that?" I point at her outfit. "On a date perhaps?" I wiggle my eyebrows.

She blushes and punches my arm. "Urusai, baka."

I smirk and playfully poke her cheek. "So? Who's the lucky guy?"

She blushes again and looks down at the ground. She's so cute when she's embarrassed.

"It'sSai," She says quickly.

I frown and lean in closer, messing with her, of course. "Gomen, but, I didn't quite catch that. Who did you say the lucky guy was?"

She clenches her fists. "It's Sai, ok?!"

A few people turn and give her surprised and judgmental looks. Her cheeks turn as pink as her hair. I can't help but bust out laughing.

"Chotto matte," I say through laughs, "you mean to tell me that you and Sai are going on a date?" I laugh even harder from saying it out loud.

She punches me again, much harder than before. "Yes, Naruto," she says through clenched teeth, "Sai and I are going on a date." She spits out the word "date" as if she had a bad taste in her mouth.

I wipe my eyes and stop laughing. "Ah, gomen, Sakura-chan. I'm just teasing." I flash my best smile at her. "Forgive me?"

She rolls her eyes but a small smile forms on her lips despite herself. Now I know that all is forgiven. "Fine, but just this once."

I pretend to act excited. "Aw, you're an angel, Sakura-chan!"

She shakes her head while laughing. "Tell me something I don't know, Naruto."

I frown and tap my chin. "Hmm...I got nothin'."

She sighs and smoothes her hair. "Well, I gotta get going. Good luck, Naruto."

"I think you're the one who's gonna need luck." I smirk and give her a quick peck on the forehead. "Good luck on your date!"

With that, I take off toward the academy.

~•~•~

I've been pacing outside of the academy for twenty minutes now. I have no idea what I'm supposed to say to these kids, and I've been wracking my brain to try and come up with something, but I got nothing. I was the class clown--the guy who ditched school to go have fun. I was the worst behaved student; why would Tsunade choose me for this mission?

"Oi, Naruto, what are you doing out here? You're supposed to be inside," says my old sensei, Iruka.

I turn and greet him with a hug. "Yo, Iruka-sensei. How've you been?"

"Oh, I'm doin' alright." he smiles. "Now, let's go inside."

He takes my wrist and tries to go inside, but I don't budge. He turns around and gives me a confused look.

"What's wrong, Naruto?" He asks, his voice filled with concern.

I sigh. "Iruka-sensei, I don't think I can do this. I'm not cut out for this. You remember how I was, don't you?"

He sighs and nods. "Yes, I remember. But maybe that's why you were chosen."

I frown. "I don't understand."

"A lot of my students behave like you, so they can relate to you more than someone like, say, Sakura or Neji."

I bite my lip. "But...what could I possibly teach them? I was a disgrace--a laughing stock! No one took me seriously!"

He grabs my shoulders. "That was years ago, Naruto. Things are not the same now as they were then. People respect you--admire you, even. You're a hero, Naruto. Don't forget that."

I swallow. "But, what am I supposed to say?"

"Whatever comes to mind." He smiles reassuringly. "Your father wouldn't want you to be ashamed of your past; embrace it, Naruto. Make you parents proud."

I nod, dismissing all my anxiety. "Well, damn. When you say it like that, I can't back out, can I?"

He shakes his head.

"Then let's do this!"

"That's the spirit, Naruto."

And with that, I confidently march into the acadmey. Don't worry, Mom, Dad, I won't let you down! I'm an Uzumaki, son of the Fourth Hokage--I won't back out now!