Chapter 9

A Rose Among Thorns

Chapter 9

Joseph

"Paintballing? She likes paintballing? She didn't seem like that kind of person." I muttered in the car, more to myself than to Tabitha. After all, Clarissa had been a princess, there was no way she would ever have been interested in any other sport besides tennis.

Stop thinking about her, I thought. You have Juliette now.

"She's not." Tabitha replied, keeping her eyes on the road.

"Then why...?"

"Richard's plan was to introduce six hours of intense physical activity for each pack member on a certain day of the week. To keep them fit." She said, frowning slightly, turning up a rocky, mountain road.

"What about training? The warriors?"

"Pfft. Don't be absurd, that would mean that we wouldn't lose more pack members than we gain each year." She said sarcastically, rolling her eyes and gripping the wheel tighter.

"I guess I have a lot of work to do." I said, leaning back in my seat. She sped up slightly, and turned off into a small parking lot filled with cars.

"That you do, alpha. That you do." She murmured, getting out of the jeep and moving around to the back, opening the trunk.

"What are you doing?" I asked, getting out myself.

"I guessed that you'd want to come here, so I got some equipment from the pack gym this morning while you were asleep. Plus, paintball at night is fun." She smiled, gesturing to the darkness of the forest, which was filled with lanterns so It looked like and IKEA advert. She picked up a load of paintballs, which were filled with glow in the dark paint.

"Isn't that dangerous?"

"Nah, not for us. We're werewolves and supernatural...things. We'll be fine." She threw some camouflage overalls at me while she simply tied her hair back and zipped up her leather jacket. She picked up some gloves and shoved them on, then picked up the gun and several gas canisters on a belt, which she slung over her elfish frame.

"Where is everyone? We'd need more players." I said, peering out into the darkness.

She merely grinned at me, and suddenly the screams of teenage girls could be heard from the trees. They continued to run until they were right in front of us, before all twenty or so girls hid behind the jeep.

"What's going on?"

"There's no way...that I'm going back in there...with HER playing!" One of them cried, and I noticed that all of them were covered in pink and blue florescent paint.

"Sadie, you call that playing? She tried to kill us!" Another cried, who had paint splattered across her cheek. I searched the crowd of teenagers for Juliette, but she was nowhere to be seen.

"Guys, that's not fair. It's only her first try!" One of the mated girls I recognised from the party spoke up.

"Lucy, it's all our first tries!" The second girl called to her.

"Girls! It's okay, I found the trigger! I had my hand pressed against it the whole time!" I heard an angelic voice laugh from the tree line. I looked up to see my mate, drenched in blue paint. With a sigh, she leaned against the nearest tree," I think I'm starting to get the hang of this!"

Tabitha snorted, filling her gun with blue paint. I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Girls?" She looked around, lifting her goggles to stare at them hiding behind the jeep, before her eyes met mine," Alpha! I'm so glad to see you!"