Chapter 8

A Rose Among Thorns

Chapter 8

Joseph

“Sorry about that, he’s very...passionate about certain things.” Tabitha said awkwardly as we walked back to the steps. Well, I walked, she just skipped strangely. The boy had conveniently got a phone call from someone at the pack house; someone had dislocated a shoulder and wanted him to make sure it was in the right place. He left without another word to Tabitha, but gave me another bow.

“What’s with the lab coat all the time anyway?”

“He’s always working, but he’s a genius for it. Have you seen Erick yet?”

“No, who’s that?”

She paused to look back at me,” You’ll like him. He was out on guard duty when you arrived, so Richard wasn’t able to show him up like he did with Oscar.”

“He doesn’t like him?”

“No, but he’s less shameful than Oscar in his eyes.” She ground out angrily, and slammed the gates shut, and one fell off its hinges, narrowly missing the car. Her pointed ears twitched like a dog’s, and although creeped out, I rolled my eyes at her temper.

I got in while she swore and went to put it back, it floated in mid air while she conducted her hands like a crazy woman, but it was pretty impressive. She got back in the car, not even out of breath. Huh, maybe she was useful after all.

“Erick! Get down here!” She called to someone up on the roof of the pack gym. I could only hear the sound of a hammer and the sound of a fuzzy radio.

“What is it? It’s going to rain soon and I need to fix this!” A British accent called back.

“Get someone else to do it then!” She argued back.

“They’re all out on patrol, there’s only me here!”

“The new alpha wants to meet you, stupid! Get your ass down here!”

“Alright, I’ll be down now, meet me in the gym!”

“I should warn you...he’s a little...strange. I mean, he’s one of a kind...sort of.” Tabitha babbled as she led me through the maze of corridors. Various weres bowed to me while glaring at the elf girl as we passed.

“Don’t tell me he’s like you, I wouldn’t be able to cope.” I joked.

She glared back at me,” Through here.”

I rolled my eyes to see a gaping hole in the gym ceiling. How the heck did they even get up that high?

She sighed angrily,”Do I have to come up there and get you myself?”

“I’m almost done, I swear!” He called down.

She grumbled under her shoulder before she suddenly shot up into the air. Of course, the bitch can fly, how stupid of me not to notice.

Once she reached the roof, she disappeared for a moment, only to appear holding someone covered in black overalls. She dangled them over the hole in the ceiling by the scruff of the neck, fifteen feet above the wooden floor.

“What did I tell you about not listening? We are in the presence of the frigging alpha! If I’m responsible for you and can’t keep you in line, then what?”

“Alright, alright. I’m sorry, put me down!” He yelled at her. I walked into the corner to grab a blue sports mat, dragging it under the hole.