A Rose Among Thorns

This is the ONLY chapter with Lucas' POV. (For those of you who don't know, the main character's father)

It's easier for those who haven't read book 1 to skip this chapter, then go back to it towards the end of the story :D

Amazing cover by @NikolausKnight and his cover thread is http://www.wattpad.com/forums/discussion/492395

Enjoy :D

A Rose Among Thorns

Preface

Lucas

"We have a son?" Sapphie gasped, staring down at the small bundle in her arms. He was sleeping, his small fingers tightening on the blankets every so often. I looked from him to Sapphie, her now red eyes shone with happiness like all her Christmases had come at once. She also held Amelia while I had Charlotte and Hollie in either hand. The moment was perfect, and I would've stayed there forever.

Fate however, had other plans.

"Your highness," Maurice, one of the servants gasped, like he'd ran most of the way here," The Doomstalker clan...they're under attack. Rouges...from the orphan pack."

Sapphie gasped, and I stroked her cheek," You want me to go?"

"The king wants you and your brothers to go." Maurice said, finally getting his breathing under control. A few months ago, I was accepted fully into the royal family. I called Sapphie's parents mom and dad as she did, and Jonathan and Harry were like brothers to me.

"She's just given birth. I can't leave her." I said quietly.

"No, you have to go. The clan are very important and we need them as badly as they need us. You have to help them." Sapphie said, pulling Amelia and our son closer to her chest.

I sighed before turning to face Maurice," Where are they?"

"The king and queen are waiting in the armoury." He replied, and went for the door.

"Can you stay here with Sapphie? I need someone here that I can trust." I asked, before handing my children over to him without waiting for an answer.

Four hours later...

The whole village was in flames. The Doomstalker clan were a group of supernaturals like vampires and werewolves, but a lot of people didn't know exactly what they were, including me and my brothers, they could be trolls for all we knew. They were protected by the royal family, in turn for their 'assistance' whenever everything goes wrong. Or so I've been told, I've never seen one before.

What were they called the Doomstalker clan? Well, that's all most people know about them. Their leader's last name is Doomstalker, that's it.

They lived in stone buildings with large windows and high ceilings, as they were known to be a tall race. The fires ran out of the windows, shattering glass onto the cobbled street below.

"Johnny and I will take care of the wolves, you look for the clan leaders!" Harry yelled as he and his brother took off down a side street. I looked around trying to find the biggest house, using my heightened senses to track them down. It was on fire, but only on the top floor so far. I ran into the house and up the three flights of stairs, trying to sniff them out.

I found a wolf on top of a figure on the floor, while a woman with long brown hair watched with wide eyes, screaming in the corner, another wolf growling in her face. I noticed that the wolf in the centre of the room was the new alpha, Tony's son, while his beta guarded the female.

Where is it?! I heard the alpha roar at the male on the floor. Over the sounds of fire, screams and growls I heard the sound of sobs.

"You will never find it." He spat back, struggling to kick the wolf off from on top of him.

I leapt forwards and ran for the wolf who had the female and broke his neck, killing him instantly. The woman looked up at me, no older than Sapphie and I, then ran for the alpha.

Then I will kill you and your mate!

"Go ahead, but it won't solve your problems, you still won't find it." The male said calmly, and the wolf growled and bit through his jugular, almost severing his head from his shoulders.

The female screamed and launched herself and the wolf, and I crushed one of its legs before he managed to do the same to her, beheading her completely. He growled at me once more before running from the room, and I noticed the man's hand twitch.

I walked over to him, and blood formed a pool around the two of them, and his eyes flicked sadly over to his mate, then back to me. He didn't have long left, he was barely breathing around the blood steadily filling his lungs.

"The closet." He whispered, his hand twitching again.

I walked over to a wooden closest made of mahogany and cautiously opened one of the doors, and inside the coats and dresses, was a crying bundle of blankets. I picked it up and walked over to him, moving the blankets out of the way.

The baby had black eyes, with a tuft of brown wavy hair, and she was still crying as I brought her over to the clan leader, who was quite unmistakably her father.

"Keep...her...safe. She's too...dangerous to be left...on her own." He coughed before his head hit the wooden floor and his body was still.

"So the clan leaders are dead?" The king said as he paced back and forth in the throne room. Saphhie's mother watched cautiously, holding the baby girl in her arms.

"Yes, I couldn't get to them in time." I said sadly, looking down at the marble tiles.

"It just doesn't make sense, they're immortal. They can just die?!" He exclaimed," Unless..." He got up and walked over to where his wife stood with the child, peeling away the blankets until he found what he'd been looking for, and he laughed slightly,"...That's genius."

"What does that do?"

"It doesn't really do anything, it's supposed to keep her true side hidden. They knew they were going to die, so they passed their powers onto their daughter...that's very clever." He said, completely astounded.

"What do we do with her?" I asked, gesturing to the baby.

"I'd say keep her here, but that must be what they were looking for, they could come back for her. Come here." The queen said.

"You're right, we must send her into hiding, somewhere where they can never find her." He looked out of the window, watching the sunrise.

"I've got just the place." The queen said and the king, reading her mind, nodded.

"Right under their noses." He murmured, before his face broke out into a smile.

Please comment guys, it really helps!