Chapter 3

Daniel

          My mind started to swirl with questions. Why am I attracted to Scarlet? Is it forbidden? Is this wrong? Does she love me back or am I just crazy now? GOD! Everything is so difficult for me! Every time I fall in love with a girl  things seem to get complicated! I should never have taken the assignment to  watch Scarlet grow up to see if she is the Chosen One.

          She has grown into an amazing young girl. I just wish that I would have told her before I kissed her, before she changed, before all of this! Now she knows how I feel! I need to tell her why I kissed her and hope that she doesn’t think I am some creep! I probably should.

          “ Daniel?! Daniel!  Are you ok?! DANIEL!!?”

          “Huh? Wh-what’s wrong, Scarlet?”

          “You just blanked out! I thought maybe I did something wrong to you! You almost gave me a heart attack, and I barely know you!”

          She ran up to me and put her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly  and started to laugh. I couldn’t help but smile because I thought her laugh was very cute.

          “ Scarlet? I uh need to tell you something. It is kind of important and I think you might want to sit down for this.”

She looked at me with a confused look on her face as she sat down onto the bed. She seemed to think maybe I was going to say something bad but she cooperated. I sat down on the other end of the bed and stared at her. I took a deep breath and looked down.

          “Scarlet, as you know I am a trained warrior and was set out to find the Fire. I have been searching for you for over 200 years, and  I never found her. I watched countless and countless girls grow up and then get married and die. None of them ever showed signs of being the Fire. Then came you. Fifteen years ago I went to Moonridge, Colorado looking for a newborn girl named Scarlet, whom the Elders thought could possibly show signs of being the Fire, over the years.”

          “Wait I am confused. Wh-.”

          “Please let me finish, then you can ask any questions. I arrived in Moonridge, and I found you. You were an adorable baby with the cutest smile. From the moment I saw you I feel in love with you. I fell in love with other girls, but this time was different. I followed you and your mom around everywhere without being noticed.  I watched you attend school for the first time, watched you go to elementary and junior high for the first time, watched you get your heart broken the first time, watched you on your first day of high school.  Every time I saw you I fell more and more in love with you. I followed you to the party the night you crashed. I pulled you out, looked in your eyes before they shut and knew I would save you. I brought you back to my house and  bit you. You were out for weeks, and every day and night I would watch you hoping you would wake up. Finally you did and I couldn’t believe how gorgeous you were. The moment I saw you walk I knew you were the Fire. Today when I kissed you, I did it not only to see if you were the Fire, but because I love you Scarlet. I know you don’t feel the same, but I love you with every fire of my being. I cannot explain it, but it is how I feel. You are the Fire and I am your trainer and yet I love you. Please think about what I just said.”

          I stood up blushing with my head spinning, and walked out of the room. I couldn’t believe I just told her how I felt, and how things must be for her. I know it must be hard for her, but I felt she should know how I felt. I would give her some space for the next few days to figure things out.