Chapter 10- Aunt Katie

Standing there, on the podium above everyone else, made me feel so superior. I was normal. I was healthy. I was a champion. Just for a couple minutes but it made me hungry for the next win. Coach was so proud of me, my mom even cried at presentation.

All of the feelings were flooding back to me as I sat on my bed looking at my five foot trophy and selection of medals. The gymnast on the top of the enormous trophy just reminded me how badly I wanted to be in my itchy leotard doing back flips at the gym. But instead I'm on my bed in my pink dress, white tights and gold ballet slippers. My hair tied up in a long ponytail that cascaded down my back, all tied up with my favourite pink satin ribbon. Being all dressed up made me feel very girly, but it wasn't every day my best friend, Aunt Katie was coming over to take the whole family out for lunch. She wants to tell us a secret, I wonder what it is? I bet mom and dad already know what it is but are just pretending they don't.

"Jordyn, Aunt Katie's here come on down sweetie." Yes. Finally she was here. I leaped up and ran to the top of the stairs where Aunt Katie and I always greeted each other.

"Aunt Katie," I exclaimed. She stood at the bottom of the stairs smiling brightly up at me. She looked stunning in her red dress and her shoulder length blond hair flowing past her ears. It was hard to believe she was still single, yeah she was young I guess but she was far to beautiful to be single, that's why I don't believe her when she says she doesn't have a boyfriend. I haven't asked her that question in a while actually, could that be what this was about?

"Hey sweetie, you look beautiful is that the dress I bought you?" She said interrupting my thoughts. I loved the fact she always said I was beautiful when she was the obvious stunning character here.

"Of course it is" I proudly say, I always make sure I wear things she has bought me when we meet but honestly she has bought me so much most of my clothes are from her so it's not that hard to do. "Ginger?" I ask noticing the large box of cookies in her hands. She seemed a confused for a second but then held the box up for me to take and said rather proudly.

"Ginger, chocolate chip and snicker doodle"

"I'm impressed, someone's been busy all day" I say as I wag my finger at her as if I was telling her off. This must be a big surprise if she baked three different types of cookies. She laughed at my reply. I could smell the smell of newly baked cookies and couldn't contain myself any longer, I grabbed the box of cookies, smells over whelming me then pulled open the lid. It felt like a warm fuzzy hug surrounding me. Looking down at the cookies I decided on a chocolate chip one which the chocolate was oozing out of.

"Cookies after lunch Jordyn" glancing up I realized everyone was waiting by the door for me so we could leave and mom was wagging her finger at me.

"Fine" I grumble as I put the cookie and the box down on the table and rush to the door.

*****

Bright sunlight pierces through the car windows as we sit in Aunt Katie's car. Our car isn't big enough for all of us, which I think is stupid considering mom is the one with two kids and Aunt Katie has none.

"Where are we going Aunt Katie?" Kyle asked out of the blue.

"Lidons" my mom said for her. Kyle and I both look at each other thinking the same thing, Lidons? Way to fancy for Aunt Katie. I use my hands to try and signal a big box opening as I mouth big surprise to Kylie, who just nods in response. I realize she is already in deep though about what this surprise could be. And so am I.