John (Chapter 14)

After I introduced Zoey to Dad and Chris, we sat there in odd silence (the director decided not to come, and I figured it was because he was dealing with bigger problems at that moment.). I think we were waiting for her to say something, anything really. I thought she would have questions like she did in the hall, but she just sat silently, not really looking at any of us except me occasionally.

Dad finally started talking. He started out explaining what he had thought happened in the ally and who the people were that attacked her. He went on to say that Anthony did not want her to return home. That got her going.

"What!? What do you mean he doesn't want me back home? How could he not, I'm his daughter for crying out loud!"

We all looked at each other. Here was the moment of truth. The only question was; how do we break it to her?

"Um...you're not exactly his daughter..." Chris said. Straight to the point, with no emotion. That's the way to do it in idiot world.

Zoey started laughing. "Now I know you guys are crazy. That's great, really. Where's the nearest exit?"

"He's not kidding. Anthony isn't your father, he's your uncle. Your father sent you to live with him and your aunt to protect you." Dad explained.

At first Zoey seemed to still think we were kidding. But after about a minute of us just watching her, I began to see the wheels in her head turn. As I looked at her I realized just how pretty she really was. Her boyfriend must have considered himself lucky. I know I would have.

"Wait, so if Dad, Anthony, my uncle, whatever, isn't my real dad, who is?"

Dad pulled a picture of Carson and Daniel out from his desk and passed it to Zoey. She looked at it shaking her head. "This isn't possible. This could be a fake. I mean, just because the older guy resembles Anthony slightly doesn't mean it's his brother."

"What else do I have to convince you...?" Dad said as he flipped through some papers on his desk. "Oh, here's a picture of your mom. See the resemblance between you and her? It's uncanny!"

It was uncanny. Seeing Zoey hold it and look at it I was able to compare the two for the first time. They both had the same sea blue eyes, same facial structure, and same blonde hair, even the same figure...not that I was paying that much attention to Zoey's figure.

"Ok, now I'm a little convinced and freaked out even more."

"After I show you this, then I'm sure you'll be fully convinced." Dad pulled out a picture of Carson, Sarah, Daniel and Zoey that was dated just days before Sarah was killed.

Zoey stared at the picture for what seemed like an eternity before she spoke. "So where are they?"

I decided to explain this part. "Your mom was killed on a mission for the C.I.A. , unfortunately." I felt like I should have said something more, but I couldn't think of anything helpful.

"Wow, I've never had hopes killed so fast before." Now I felt even worse, but I still couldn't think of anything to say. Luckily, she chose to move on.

"So if my real mom was killed , where are my dad and brother?"

"Actually, that's why you're here. Don't get too worried when we tell you this, because we don't know for sure if it's true, but we have reason to believe that they were captured while on a case."

"By who?"

"The only thing we know is they disappeared following a link in the Middle East."

"Isn't that where...you know, a lot of bad stud tends to happen?"