Dumb Jealousy Part 4

Clocks. Clocks. Clocks. That was all a fox could hear anymore. Clocks. Nick Wilde had only heard the sound of his clocks for the last few days. The constant tick-tock of the second hand going around over and over again, began to drive the poor fox MAD. 

For the last few days, Nick stayed home from work, with his back on his soft white sofa, and his paws covering up his emerald eyes, with agony apparent upon his muzzle. Fever had taken hold of him, and had seemingly burned a hole in his head, and made him sick to his stomach.

The ticking gave him a migraine. A migraine which would never cease, no matter what precautions were ultimately taken. No medicine nor sleep could cure this pain. The pain of sheer dumb jealousy.

Nick had figured it out during his time alone. Ronald had made him jealous. He had never seen it before. Never in a million years did he imagine it. But he wasn't searching for love any longer. He'd FOUND it. And she was a sly bunny, and he was a dumb fox. The hints had been there for months, and yet he'd never taken hold of the reigns. He'd never realized how much he truly loved his Carrots, and how much she loved him in return. 

Nick removed his paws from his head at this revelation. He sat up straight and felt his strength begin to return. His surroundings spoke ill of him. The garbage had piled up, the T.V. set was hot from overuse, and his uniform remained untouched in his bedroom closet with the golden badge shining from the morning light outside his curtains. Nick's fur had turned pale and his jade eyes, had become wreathed in bloodshot RED. 

"RED." he thought to himself. The color of blood. The color of the those beautiful roses that Ronald had given Judy the last time he saw her. Red was also the color of the bunny's eyes. Nick remembered them clearly. They spoke of a bunny who was manipulative and false. Nick didn't like that. Not one bit.

He could feel a ounce of worry somewhere beneath his new snowy white fur. Deep down in his soul he could feel it. He felt worry that Judy was in a bad place. That she wasn't safe. He didn't know HOW he could feel these things, but he could. 

Then he saw them. The lights. Bright as the Aurora Borealis in the north or as bright as a the full moon on a clear starry night sky. Tension was apparent in the air around him. The room temperature of his apartment turned against him, and he felt himself gasp for breath as the red lights themselves began to boil his insides, and clog up his throat. Invisible hands tugged at his organs and made him scream, scream and scream again. Then all he saw were the two red eyes of his assailant. Burning with both hatred and ecstasy. The all seeing eyes, looked through him to the only source of good in the world, the pure white of his sofa. The eyes grew claws and with them, turned his sofa red with blood. His screams remained apparent until he had made himself deaf with pain, and red was all he knew in his life now.

Then he awoke. His breathing was ragged, and his fur returned to auburn. Then he looked around terrified, and saw his room was white once again. No longer was the crimson tearing him apart. He was home, and he was glad to realize that it was a fever dream. 

He through off his rough vanilla sheets, and his brown, white and RED plaid blanket. He used his newfound space, and breathed a large sigh of pure relief. He arose and felt strong for the first time in days. No more was he pale or sickly. No more pain or dumb jealousy. It was time for Nick to grow up and most importantly, CONFESS his feelings.

He rushed from his sofa and over his scratchy brown carpeting, that needed to be vacuumed. He went to seize his navy blue police uniform, and that shimmering golden badge. Then he thought better of it. Instead he grabbed his old stupid green hawaiian shirt, and his stupid black necktie. 

He went to his bathroom mirror, and smiled at himself. His old sly self. His orange fur drank in the lights from above the mirror, and made it shine. He used his transparent green toothbrush to drive away the brown rot that had settled on his canines, until they gleamed in the light, and his spit turned to blood.