Chapter Twenty Normalcy

“No, Beth I don’t feel like dressing up this year,” I said for the final time. It was the day before Halloween. Two weeks had passed since that night we had all survived. Josh, Beth, Ayden and I were at lunch at school and discussing the party we all got invited to. Matter of fact the whole school did it seemed, some new mysterious family that moved into town.

“Oh come on everyone else will be, even Ayden is,” she pointed at my boyfriend accusatory.

“I wouldn’t even have time to get an outfit anyway,” Beth looked at Ayden pleading him to get me to dress up. Ayden had not taken any blood from me since the night we killed Hadrian the ancient. I was glad he could not really get my thoughts clear anymore. He didn’t particularly like it, but only because he was always worried about protecting me.

I looked at him and he kind of had a grin on his face.

“I sort of got something for you, just in case you changed your mind,” he looked sheepish, I just glared at him. Beth clapped her hands happily.

“See now you have to go dressed up,” she said, I rolled my eyes.

“Fine,” I pouted. I really didn’t want to. I never cared too much for Halloween but always went because Beth and Jen enjoyed it so much.

Beth and Josh were going as ‘dweedle dee’ and ‘dweedle dumb’ from Alice in Wonderland. I thought it was hilarious despite not caring for the holiday. Ayden smiled at me he seemed genuinely happy that I agreed to go.

“So what are we going as then Ayden?” I asked dreading the answer. A grin spread across his face.

“I thought it would be fitting if I went as Dracula and you went as Elvira,” Beth and Josh laughed loving that idea.

“Real original Ayden,” I cringed and laughed rolling my eyes. Things have been low key and for the most part normal the past two weeks. It was nice to have things simple again.

That night Ayden was joining me and my dad for a hockey game. Ayden had studied it relentlessly so he could make a good impression on my father and he began to actually like the sport. I was pleased that I could share it with him. My dad was walking on his own now and goes back to work after Halloween, I was glad he was better. He can get a little infantile when he was injured or even sick.

We left the cafeteria and finished up the school day it went by quickly since P.E. and home EC were easy classes. Beth started a flour fight in home EC so; I was covered in white dust when I got home.

“What the hell happened to you?” my dad said laughing when I got in the door.

“Beth did in home EC she got really entertained by flour,” I said giggling.

“A little,” it was coming off of me as if she dumped a whole bag of dust on my head.

“You just need some tar and feathers”

“I am glad you think it is so funny, hardy har har dad,” I said sarcastically.

“When is Ayden getting here?” he asked chuckling.

“An hour or so I am going to go get cleaned up,” I called as I went up the stairs. I took a shower to get all the flour off of me and blow dried my hair. Yes I hate doing that but I wanted it dry quickly the weather was getting colder now since it was the end of October. I put on some thick pajamas and bounced down the stairs. I ate dinner quickly, Ayden would be here soon and I didn’t want him to sit and stare watching me eat.

Ayden arrived soon after.

“Hi love,” he said and wrapped me in a hug on the porch. He kissed me softly.

“Hmm that was nice,” I hummed to him.

“You are literally delicious,” he teased showing a little vampire. I giggled and we went inside. My dad was perched on his favorite part of the couch where it reclined.

“Hey Ayden,” my dad said warmly.

“Mr. Baxter, Hello,” he shook my dad’s hand. He was always so polite and formal with my father.

We sat on the couch and I cuddled up to Ayden my head in his lap as we started the game, Ayden draped an arm over my side.

My dad didn’t mind our affection, he didn’t like to see it but he rather I was doing that instead of getting knocked up which I thought wouldn’t matter with Ayden being a vampire anyway. I never had asked Ayden about that. He liked Ayden well enough though, and enjoyed how Ayden liked hockey and got into it with him about the sport as well. Ayden was here for at least two games a week now and he did get into it. He jumped up and hollered just like my dad did at penalties handed out and when goals were scored, I did as well, I loved hockey. It was so nice to be back to a normal simple life.

A little more than halfway through the game the door bell rang.

“I’ll get it,” I jumped up happily and made my way to the front door trying to watch the game still, craning my neck as I got further away. I hooted as a goal was scored and opened the door.

“Hello,” I said as I turned to see who the late guest was.

I openly gasped and took a step back. I could have fainted. My face drained of color at who was standing before me. He looked older, and somehow more handsome, there was cruelty in his eyes now though. I was shaken to my very core. Ayden probably feeling my distress came to the door and a growl rumbled low in his chest instantly.

“Who are you?” he asked menacingly. The new guest smiled crookedly. I couldn’t speak. I was in shock I couldn’t believe he was here and like this.

“I am Dylan, Cailyn’s ex, I am sure she told you about me. She dumped me after her mother died,” he said it cruelly and viciously. A lump formed in my throat and I felt my eyes sting as I tried to hold back tears. Ayden looked confused he had seen this person younger in my memory and knew he had left but now he is back; there went my happy normal simple life.

“But you are vampire,” Ayden said in shock. A cruel violent smile spread across Dylan’s face.

“Yes indeed I am,”

To be continued….