Chapter Five Shopping Spree

That weekend was shopping with Beth for our dresses.

“Ok so tell me all the details of this date. I know you already said some but we aren’t in class now, you know the whole school thinks you two are a couple,” Beth started with some giggles.

“Why he is only in one class with me and sometimes sits with us at lunch. Otherwise that was the first time I had seen him outside of school,” I said flabbergastted, asI was flipping through some of the dresses, none of them were appealing to me so far. I had a feeling he was going to wear a pressed black and white tuxedo with what I had already noticed about his style, elegant and modern. So I wanted to pick something out that would work with that, and I had eliminated white. I did not want to look like a couple on their wedding day. I grimaced at that thought.

“Well you know how school rumors go and it’s not really just the time you spend together. It’s the way you two are with each other, the body language, the way you look at each other, it’s like your connected,” there is that gravitation force again, interesting that others could see that but actions do speak louder than words. I shrugged.

“I don’t know he hasn’t asked me out or anything,” I added, “there are no good dresses here lets go to the next place,” she nodded. The shopping center we were at, we chose because it is off the beaten path, it’s not the mall which everyone would be buying their dresses at and me and Beth had a more classical style. Vines of ivy climbed on the brick walls as we made our way to the next store.

“Alright, now tell me,” she demanded.

“Fine well he is a gentleman, old fashioned which is unusual, he opened all the doors for me. He didn’t eat though which was strange. He told me I was the most extraordinary beauty he had ever seen,” I added knowing Beth would love that.

“Oh my god my heart would have melted,” she laughed. I smiled because mine sure did.

“He also warned me that Jen is getting more bitter,” frowning as I thought about that. I had been trying to keep that off of my mind. It hurt knowing how long we had been friends.

“That is unfortunate, I hope she isn’t plotting anything stupid,” the door bell that rang as we entered the store echoed through the building. A pudgy middle aged woman greeted us and told is if we needed any help just to ask. After some polite ‘thank you’s’ we began to look around. This store wasn’t typical but it had some really nice stuff from time to time.

“Knowing Jen she probably is,” we exchanged a look and sighed.

“So what else?” as Beth began to flip through dresses. Everything else me and Ayden talked about, I hadn’t told Beth about yet. I had a way around it though.

“Well you how I told my dad that I was going to the dance with Ayden?”

“Yes,” distracted as she was browsing.

“Well my dad also said that the name was familiar, one of the oldest in the town and that he knew of an Ayden Conner’s when he was in high-school but he never actually met or knew him,” I waited for her reaction to this information.

“Oh ya I forgot about that. When I first found out his full name I thought about the old family of Conner’s here in town to, supposedly I am a descendant but I don’t believe it,” Beth revealed casually. That was surprising to me; Ayden mentioned that there were not any left. I still thought it was possible from my research that said the sisters had survived and scattered, since women take on the man’s name when getting married it was a curious thing to think of Beth being related.

“Interesting Ayden said there wasn’t any left and that he might be distantly related,” Beth’s eyes widened in surprise at this information, I smiled at her.