Chaparral High School

Not much has changed in the passed few months aside from the weather.  The Las Vegas weather I have come to love is finally back.  Some people might say it's "too hot" or that Nevada is dull, dry, and ugly, but that's okay.  It has been my home for 10 years (I lived in the Philippines and Florida for about three years when I was a baby) and it will probably stay my home until I get to college.  Then, hopefully, I will get to travel the world.  But of course, I will always end up back here.  I just know it.

So it turns out, Destany doesn't like Ethan anymore.  Something about him being too much like her brother.  I totally get it.  I would never want to date anyone like my old friend Shane.  He's like a brother to me.  I have known him my whole life, but I haven't gotten to talk to him in a while.  I've got to say, Shane has turned out to be really handsome.  But never will I think to date him.  It'll be too awkward.  And we know each other too well; there would be nothing to talk about.

Speaking of dating, our school symphonic band went to perform at UNLV Ham Hall.  I heard Roy Martin was performing before us and wondered if someone from 5th grade that I knew, Collin Reynolds, was in band.  I knew that I was going to see him in high school next year at Valley, but I wanted to see him before then.  I wanted to know if he remembered me at all.  We are both going there for the International Baccalaureate program, so we are bound to have at least one class together.  There was a rumor going around, at my elementary school in 5th grade, that Collin had a crush on me.  Well, maybe it wasn't a rumor because one of his ex friends, Treasure, yelled out that he did, but no one ever confirmed it for me.  I supposed it was true because I saw Collin, Nikita; one of Collin's Russian friends, and Treasure; a strange name for a guy, talking before Treasure yelled it across the black top.  Luckily, the teacher either didn't hear, or didn't acknowledge it.  Then, Collin stood, looking frozen, and Nikita elbowed Treasure hard and said, "Why did you tell her?!"  I admit, Collin could have possibly been one of the weirdest guys in the school, but I still liked him.  I decided not to say anything about it, I didn't want Collin to hate me.  Oh joy, I get to see Collin again. I thought when Nico Chen; best friends with Collin, told me he was going to Valley.  I was really hoping I wouldn't have to face Collin again.  I really don't like being awkward.  But I can't really help it either.

The jazz band is going on another trip; Chaparral High School to perform for the Clark County jazz band recital.  Destany and I whined when our teacher told us that we couldn't fit the tenor saxophone cases in the bottom of the bus.  As we stumble in, someone steps on my dress and I almost trip.  This is EXACTLY why I hate bringing my tenor home.  Because I ride the bus, and I can't handle carrying that thing with me.  I want to sit with Destany so I had both of us put our tenors in an empty seat, along with our music.  But when Destany sits down, Noah sits next to her.  The closest empty seat to Destany is across from her, where Ethan sits alone.  I'm guessing he wants to sit alone but you don't always get what you want, right?

"Scoot." I say with absolutely no emotion whatsoever.

He looks up and says, "No."

I smirk at his comment and sit down in the tiny space between him and the aisle, pushing him back.  After a few moments of fighting a hopeless fight, he finally gives in and I sit, satisfied.  Then, Mr. Jackson walks to the back of the bus just as I relax, trying to find a seat for Miles.  Miles Laury.  6th grade.  Drummer for the jazz band.  He can act like a real idiot sometimes.  And that's why people act like they hate him.  But we really don't.  Well, maybe that's not true for a few people.  But most of us don't.  It's fun to tease him once in a while when he starts rapping or ends his conversations with his mom, "I love you too."  He's proud of both, and that's a good thing until high school.  I wish him luck.  Mr. Jackson sees both Destany's and my tenor saxophones and asks who they belong to.  Destany raises her hand, but I'm too lazy to.  She gives me a look and I give her a toothy grin.  He moves Destany's (mine is on the bottom where it's safe) and lets Miles sit in it's place.  Noah moves up to sit near the middle of the bus and I can finally sit with Destany.

As the bus makes its way to Chaparral High, everyone FTFO's about "making friction" with others.  I have no idea when it started.  But we all just let it happen.  And, as usual, I yell at Destany for "being a slut" because she took off her sweat shirt.  Then Ethan and I get Noah's attention to tell him that Destany "wants" him.  I honestly don't know what's wrong with us.  It's just what the band does.  You know you're a true band kid when you do crazy shit with the band.  We do it in unison, but we are all still unique.  That's how special the band is.