23 | Messages

Alex's arm was around me when I woke up, and we were tangled in a mess of bed sheets and pajamas as daylight poured in. I realized I wanted it to be like this every time I woke up.

My second realization was turning off the loud sound coming from my phone. I wanted to answer, because it could be important, but I didn't want to get up. Alex heard me stir and I looked back to see him with morning hair and a small smile.

He stretched his arms. "This certainly wasn't what I had in mind when I pictured us sleeping together, but I enjoyed this just as much, if not more."

I rolled over and laughed, rubbing my eyes. The phone continued to buzz and Alex sat up, ruffling his hair. "Idiot. Can you get that? I'm busy."

"Busy with what? Loafing around in bed?" Alex scoffed, reaching over to get my phone. There was a pause—a terribly long pause. He held the phone and stayed silent.

"Well? What does it say?"

The silence woke me up fully. I had to sit up as curiosity got to me. Alex ran a hand through his hair, exhaling. "Leah..."

"What?" I tried to look over but he didn't let me see.

"How long," he whispered.

"What?" I furrowed. "Give me the phone."

"No." He got off the bed. The pants were still as loose on his hips, lips slightly spread apart. He stared at the screen. "How long?"

"Alex, give me the phone." I hopped off the bed, throwing the covers off in a huff, and walked up to him—but he didn't let me have it.

The boy raised his voice, fingers tightening on the phone. "Tell me how long you've been getting these messages."

I avoided eye contact. "I don't know what you're talking about." When he didn't respond, I dared to look back at him with his jaw clenched tightly. "That's like, only the second one."

"Be serious." His shoulders looked stiff. "Please."

"I'm not lying! I don't know why you think there'd be more."

Alex chuckled in an I'm-not-mad-at-you, but-I'm-definitely-mad kind of way. "I told you this would happen."

"I believed you! I just don't care what anybody's saying." The words felt off, somehow, gliding over my tongue. "Just give me back the phone."

When he didn't respond, I grabbed the clothes I wore yesterday to change. I slammed the door and hurried out of my pajamas, splashing water on my face to calm down. Alex knocked at the door and I opened it, trying to pass by him.

"Leah, do you wanna know what they said?"

"I don't care what they said."

"They said you should kill yourself," he mumbled, like a broken puppy.

I shook my head. "So?"

"So?"

"It doesn't matter," I said, grabbing the phone from him and leaving the hotel room. I don't know how long Alex stood there before leaving.

"What got Al in a mood today?" Matt whispered, checking the time on his watch. We checked out earlier in the day to travel back just northeast of LA, to the city of Pasadena. They found a quaint studio near City Hall to practice in for the day.

"No idea," I lied.

Matt crossed one leg over the other. "I'll talk to him later 'bout it. It's rare he doesn't have something on his mind."

After the festival, Miles and Richard took a break for their own work and stayed in Santa Barbara. We were focusing back on Arctic Monkeys songs for now, and testing out different sounds. Alex had shown up, refusing to make conversation. He sang his parts but they lacked enthusiasm. They were practicing for their last show in California in a few weeks.

At five o' clock, when it ended, Collin took a phone call. He came back with wide eyes. "Leah, Alex! You've done it. Your acting was impeccable—it seems most media outlets have been convinced you're a couple. We're dining out tonight. It's cause for celebration."

Collin fist pumped the air and Matt cupped his mouth to cheer. Nick gave me a thumbs-up and Jamie smiled. Clearly their manager had not been this happy in a while.

"It'll just be us, I'm not calling in any reporters. Everybody's been working so hard lately. I hope we can all have a little bit of fun." Collin practically clicked his heels together as he walked out of the practice room.

"I'm excited," Matt laughed. "Looks like he's finally warmed up again. I'm glad we get to relax tonight."

Alex spoke up for the first time, startling everybody. "Even though there won't be any reporters, it doesn't mean we can relax."

"What do you mean?"

"They don't just stop because Collin's not calling any in. The media's always watching and waiting for the perfect chance to hurt you." Alex looked to me as he put away the guitar.

"Christ Al, seriously." Matt reared his head back. "What's gotten into you today?"

"Nothing. I'm just being honest, here."

"Well let's take it down a notch. We're celebrating tonight."

Alex took a long glance at me, and stopped talking once more. I had to unclench my fists before Matt noticed—he invited me to get ready with him and Brea. Alex was bringing up an argument I thought we moved on in the past, and I should have been more careful about not letting him see the evidence.